Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence to San Gim to Siena - doable in one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'd like to go to Siena and San Gimignano as side trips from Florence (where we're staying for a week). The bus schedules are confusing. Is it advisable to go from Florence to San Gim to Siena and back to Florence in one day, making all the bus connections, or is it better to separate them into two days? Is SITA the bus company for both?
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:43 PM
E_M

SITA was the bus we used. I think one day for both is really stretching it, though.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:44 PM

We did it in one day but we had a rental car which came in handy when I went wild at the outlet stores.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 04:52 PM

As far as I know there aren't direct buses from Florence to San G.
There are frequent buses both ways between Siena and San G. I would take an early 6:30-7am bus from Florence to Siena. After lunch, take a bus to San G. midafternoon. SITA buses all the way. After an early dinner, take a taxi to Poggibonsi and then a train back to Florence.

Several tour companies run one-day trips that include both places, but they start later in the day and you'll only have 3 or so hours in each place.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:22 PM

We hooked up with a company that ran tours....we were with 2 other couples in a van. The driver took us to both Siena and San Gimignano. You were then given the choice as to whether you wanted to go back with the driver or take the train and stay longer in Siena....I believe that was our last stop. We had looked at the whole train thing and that wasn't going to work with the time table and directness of train lines.

I can't remember who we booked with but I'm sure there are resources on line that would make it possible to book something like that.

It was very easy and doable in one day. It gave us a nice overview of the area, which we returned to a couple of years later with friends...renting a car for that trip.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:34 PM

I did this several years ago and it was definitely doable, a great day and not too hectic. We went to S.G. early and while it was lovely, at one point busloads of schoolkids arrived and took over. So we moved onto Siena. I remember we had 3 direct buses, but obviously schedules will have changed since then!
This is something you can plan out when you get there and have the bus schedules in hand.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM

I'm thinking about a daytrip from Florence to San G and Siena. I'd also like to add a stop at a winery or olive oil producer on the way back to Florence. I think it may be a long day, but possible as we'll have a car and won't be on buses. Appreciate any thoughts.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 02:28 AM
ira

Hi G,

http://www.sangimignano.net/bus/ has service from Florence to Siena and San G via Poggibonsi.

You could also take the SITA bus to/from Florence/Siena.