Notices

Florence to Salerno to Positano!

Jun 20th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Florence to Salerno to Positano!

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to book our train tickets from Florence to Salerno on a Friday in mid-September with a final destination in Positano. Our plan was to ferry from Salerno to Positano.

At this point, I am seeing the earliest train from Florence to Salerno at 8:19 arriving Salerno at 11:59. Then, the next ferry wouldn't be until 14:10. With the ferry time and getting to our hotel, it would be a complete day of travel.

Wanted to reach out to the Fodors community to see if there are other options you would suggest or if I am missing any earlier trains on that route? I know that taking a train to Naples is an option with either bus/car transport but we are leaning towards the Salerno + ferry option. Thank you for any advice you can give!
Jun 20th, 2015, 10:54 PM

I put in 6am and got the same times as you. And it looks like timetables for regional trains are up. At least it's a quick journey and it looks like you'll be in Salerno in perfect time for lunch.
Jun 20th, 2015, 10:59 PM

A Eurostar train leaves from Florence S.M.N for Napoli Garibaldi station every hour. A train leaves Napoli Garibaldi for Sorrento every 30 minutes. A Sita Sud bus leaves Sorrento for Positano every hour. This route using public transportation should not take you more than 6 hours. So, it may be worth to get to Sorrento via Napoli.
Jun 21st, 2015, 07:06 AM

The problem with going through Naples is that both the Cicumvesuviana train (from Naples to Sorrento) and the bus from Sorrento to Positano can be very hot and crowded. I would prefer traveling through Salerno, myself.

You can also get from Salerno to Positano by bus, changing in Amalfi. I don't know how convenient this is.

It's a long distance from Florence to Positano, over 500 km (300 miles). Driving would take at least 6 hours, with light traffic (which is rare). Basically, unless you have a magic carpet, it's an all-day trip.

There are no more Eurostar trains; the fast trains from Florence to Naples are now called Frecciarossa trains, and most of the day there are several each hour. Also, the train arrives at Napoli Centrali station. You have to go downstairs to Garibaldi station to catch the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento. These run very frequently.

Search this Thread