Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   florence to rome suggested travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-to-rome-suggested-travel-744206/)

bebrief Oct 22nd, 2007 09:18 AM

florence to rome suggested travel

can anyone please tell me the best and safest way to get from florence to rome on a sunday....we are leaving very early (7am) from the rome airport...should we stay by the airport? should we take the train into the airport (is train station safe?

PalenQ Oct 22nd, 2007 09:22 AM

If you take the Leonardo Express, an all first-class proper airport train then yes it's safe and comfy and the stations - Termini and the airport one are too

If you take the dumpier commuter train to the airport, which takes longer, there have been warnings on that train to watch your belongings.

IMO you should stay at the airport. Certainly seems impossible to get there well before 7am if coming from Florence that same morning.

Though perhaps there is some kind of car service that would leave Florence really early you could do

J62 Oct 22nd, 2007 09:26 AM

I would stay in Rome the night before your flight. The Leonardo Express will get you from Rome Termini station to the airport in about 30min.

There is no need to stay by the airport - enjoy your last night in Rome.

You can take train from Florence to Rome - 90min ride. Much faster than any other means.

ellenem Oct 22nd, 2007 09:37 AM

I agree--get to Rome the night before.

If your flight is at 7AM, it means you should proabably be there by 5-5:30AM. The first Leonardo Express from Roma Termini to the airport leaves at 5:52AM.

Sounds like you need to be in the area the night before and take a shuttle or taxi. Taxi will cost 40-50 euros.

While I would stay in Rome and take a taxi, if you search here you will find recommendations for airport hotels that might be an option for you.

rkkwan Oct 22nd, 2007 09:39 AM

First Leonardo Express train leaves Termini at 5:52am and arrives 6:23am. It's too late if the OP is taking a 7am flight out.

Stay at an airport hotel with shuttle.

ira Oct 22nd, 2007 11:38 AM

Hi B,

You should be in Rome the night before your flight.

You can arrange for cab or shuttle from town to the airport.

SusanP Oct 22nd, 2007 01:14 PM

You definitely want to be in Rome the night before your flight. Take the train from Florence to Rome. I wouldn't give up my last night in Rome just to be close to the airport. You can book a shuttle and they will pick you up at any hour. Here's the one I've used:
www.airportshuttle.it

TravMimi Oct 22nd, 2007 01:40 PM

The airport Hilton is very nice. I would train in from Florence, get on the Leonardo Express and check in at the Hilton. Repack for my flight and relax.

roadlesstraveled Oct 22nd, 2007 06:36 PM

Hi bebrief

I agree with travlmimi. When I had an early morning flight from Rome I stayed at the airport Hilton because I could walk to the airport via the elevated walkway right outside the hotel door.

bebrief Oct 22nd, 2007 07:55 PM

thanks for all of the great info!