Florence to Pisa by Train: Help!

Apr 27th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Florence to Pisa by Train: Help!

I was just looking to check the trenitlia online schedule (http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/TimeTable) between Florence and Pisa and noticed that (apparently) as of June 10th, there seems to be virtually nothing other than an 07:50 departure whereas even the day before, there's departures all over the place.

Does anyone have any advice on whether this might be a glitch on their site and suggest an alternative schedule site?

TIA

Nick
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:22 AM

not a glitch but summer schedules for some reason are not loaded yet and they start on the 10th or 11th i believe.

Be sure that there are up to four trains an hour Florence-Pisa - most regional trains that do not accept reservations and you'll have no problem getting on.

Trenitalia.com shows very few trains right now after June 10 but should be remedied soon - it's been an annual aggravation for several years now. Come trenitalia get your act together! No way to run a railway!
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, PalenQ. It struck me as likely to be something along those lines. I'm just looking to make reservations to climb the Tower and decided that knowing the train schedule would make wonderful sense before making any other reservations.

BTW, is Pisa Centrale the best station (or only station for that matter) for access to the Tower?

TIA
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:47 AM

San Rossore station is about a 5 min. walk to the tower, but all trains do not stop there. Check trenitalia schedule to make sure your train does.
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:50 AM

The same thing is showing up on the GermanRail site

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

but as i recall there is almost hourly service to Pisa from Florence SMN to Pisa Centrale.

Nick, the tower can be reached from Centrale by either a public bus or a taxi both of which leave from outside the station if you cannot do the trip to the S. Rossore station.
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:08 AM

S Rossore is practically within eyeshot of the Tower area. This sleepy station has trains once or twice hourly i think on the Pisa Centrale to Lucca line - therefore you often have to change trains at Pisa Centrale so check the www.bahn.de German site for these schedules or www.trenitalia.com when they are back on. But be guaranteed that, barring those all too often train strikes that have been occuring in Italy recently, you'll have probably four or so trains an hour.