Florence to Lucca and Pisa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi we have a lunch reservation in Lucca at 1:00 I plan to take the train from Florence. Is it the same train line to Pisa? Do I need separate train tickets? I’m not very familiar with using the train but again the plan is Florence-Lucca-Pisa-Florence. Does that plan work? Any info or advice is appreciated. I also noticed several Pisa stops which one gets us to the tower? Thanks again!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 09:39 PM

Sorry that I do not remember which train, but it was easy. Just be sure to get to Lucca as early as you can to walk around this lovely city. Get off the Main Street where it is usually crowded with tourists and do not miss the shopping area that is built on the ground where the ancient Roman arena was located. Oddly, it was nearly empty. Walk the walls or rent a bike if you have time. Great shopping if that interests you. I bought the best umbrella I have ever owned there, big, with a long wooden handle. Have sage Polenta if your restaurant has it in the menu.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 09:52 PM

There are two train route to Lucca. One via Pistoia without having to change train and another one via Pisa Centrale requiring a change of train there.
Whether you one or another depends on which day you are traveling and at what time you are traveling to hit your reservation.
To see which trains match your timing, use www.bahn.com. It is much easier to use than the Italian train site. Use the "map view" to visualize the train route.
There is a thing call "map" that shows you which Pisa station is closer to the tower. Look at https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7163...4079,15z?hl=en . Do you see two stations? Which one is closer to Torre di Pisa? If you take a train from Lucca to Pisa, that short train stops at the Rassore station.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 01:04 AM

From Florence to Lucca you most likely will have to change train at Pisa Centrale, the main train station in Pisa.

On your outbound journey you'll just purchase one train ticket from Florence to Lucca.
On your return since you plan to stop in Pisa, you'll need to buy 2 separate tickets.

On the regional train from Lucca to Pisa, Pisa S. Rossore is one stop before Pisa Centrale.

Last edited by Reading54; Jan 26th, 2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Pisa s Rossore is a secondary station one stop before or after Pisa Centrale depending on which way you are going - in your case you are going to Lucca first then to Pisa- S Rossore is within a short walk of the Leaning Tower - get off there (no storage facilities) and walk to Tower area and then reboard trains for Pisa Centrale and Florence. You are dealing with mainly regional trains - no reason to pre-buy - seat reservations not even possible - just buy on day of travel - if they have first class it only costs a few euros extra and could be well worth it IME as regional trains can get crowded at times. Regional trains have a flat fare that is dirt cheap. for lots on Italian trains check www.trenitlia.com; www.ricksteves.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.seat61.com.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 01:53 PM

I have a related but different question. We are planning to visit the Italian Riviera and I wondered about day trips to Lucca and Pisa from Genoa. Is it possible to visit both Lucca and Pisa in one day, traveling by train? Our total trip is only 7 days, so I am planning to allow time for Cinque terra and the coastal towns and hiking.Grazie!
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 02:01 PM

Yes if Pisa you only want to see the Tower area. Lucca is not that big so can easily see the gist of it in half a day. Yet it is a longish train trip from Genoa. Why not base nearer CTerre - why Genoa?
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 05:17 PM

planning to fly from usa to/from Genoa. I thought Pisa and Lucca might be closer to visit from Genoa before visiting CT, either at the beginning of our stay or at the end.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 05:20 PM

Is Pisa closer/shorter train ride to other towns along the Riviera di Levante vs Genoa? that was what I had thought, but I really don't know the train lines, distances, etc.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Depends what towns you are talking about - but none are really far. Cinque Terre about same time from Pisa as Genoa. But why not stay in Cinque Terre or nice seaside town near it? Genoa is nice itself but you have a whole different atmosphere in a Cinque Terre town or Santa Margharita Ligure, etc.

Be sure to take regional trains on that coastal line - much cheaper than IC trains and no seat reservations even possible - just board any regional train with a ticket. No hassle pre-booking in stone with no changes like IC trains where you reserve a specific train at a specific time - regional trains are marginally slower.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 01:26 PM

thanks PalenQ, I appreciate your responses and don't mean to take over this person's thread, but I want your help in thinking about this-- and others, please offer suggestions!. Based on your suggestion, I bought the tix to arrive from states to Florence and then depart for states from Genoa, allowing us to visit Lucca, Pisa and explore CT and the coast without back-tracking. We thought we would land in Florence, then take train to Lucca for overnight. Do a stop in Pisa en route to CT, then spend a few nights in CT, then move to another coastal town, like Santa Margherita di Figure or Comigli ( suggestions of one vs the other?) then go to Genoa for a couple of nights before heading home. how would a short stop in Pisa work ? Can it be done with luggage? Does the train route go - Florence- Lucca- Pisa. ? or Florence- Pisa- Lucca ?
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 01:59 PM

Check your other thread or someone's similar thread for a long response I gave about hitting Pisa Tower area en route from Lucca to CT. Rather cumbersome on sameday but easy to do the first day in Lucca.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 02:01 PM

help with Florence - Lucca-Pisa Cinque Terra logistics please!

Other thread.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 03:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>From Florence to Lucca you most likely will have to change train at Pisa Centrale, the main train station in Pisa.<<<

No, that would take longer. If you take the regional train to Lucca it takes about 1:20. Going through Pisa would add another 30 minutes.

Another option is the bus from Florence to Lucca which takes 5-10 minutes less than the train. Lazzi used to run this route (you caught it beside the Florence SML station), but I'm not sure they still do. Flix seems to run a morning bus departing about 9 (travel time 1:05). Vai also runs a bus departing from a nearby station (Leopolda) which you can reach by the tram T1. Click the pdf on the right on the Lucca/Firenze link to see the schedules.

Linea Extraurbana Regionale Lucca-Firenze

Line 1

From Lucca to Pisa is a short train ride (20-25 minutes) if you get off at the S Rossore station which is closest to the tower. To head back to Florence, you would take a local bus (there is one that runs between the tower and Pisa Centrale) and catch a train at Centrale to Florence (about 1 hour or so). There's also bus service between Lucca/Pisa.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 09:32 AM

If you time it right you could take train from S Rossore to Pisa Centrale too - though they only run hourly but maybe some go straight thru to Florence via Pisa Centrale.