Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence to Amalfi (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-to-amalfi-169127/)

Laura Mar 6th, 2002 03:22 PM

Florence to Amalfi

I'm going to Italy for my honeymoon the first 2 weeks of October this year and need help on the order of my itinerary. We're are flying into Rome and the goal is to spend time in Florence, Tuscany,(Chianti, San Gimignano, Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano),Amalfi coast and Rome. We were going to first drive up to Florence by stopping 1 or 2 nights in Siena, or somewhere in Tuscany along the way, and then spend a few nights in Florence before turning in the car in Florence and taking a train down to the coast (into Naples? Or Sorrento?). We will rent another car down there and spend about 5 days on the coast before driving to Rome, turn in car and spend 3 days in Rome before flying out. Sound OK? Will I have enough time? Help please!!

Chrissy Mar 6th, 2002 03:34 PM

We drove from Positano to Florence which was fine. You might consider that as well vs. the train.

Sherry Mar 6th, 2002 05:07 PM

Laura. WE are doing almost the exact same trip. Fifteen days<BR>Fly into Rome. Train to Florence, stay overnight. Pick up car and drive to Castellina in Chianti to stay at an agriturismo for one week. Doing day trips by car to all of the places you mentioned except Florence. Driving to Amalfi coast (Praiano) spending five nights. Dropping off car in Naples and taking the train into Rome for two nights.<BR>I do not like to change hotels very often so that is why we decided to stay in one place in Tuscany and do day trips.<BR>We decided to keep the car to drive from Castellina to AMalfi because it is a five hour drive, but the train trip is even more time consuming.<BR>I can let you know how it works out. We go in May.

Laura Mar 6th, 2002 05:31 PM

Sherry-<BR>Why is the five hour drive from Castellina to AMalfi shorter than a train trip from Florence? How many hours is the train from Florence to Amalfi? Also, where are you spending your 5 nights in Amalfi? I can't wait to hear about your trip when you return!! Did you find any good hotels for Amalfi area?

Sherry Mar 6th, 2002 07:12 PM

Well, Laura. The train trip is about 5 hours from Florence. We are staying in Castellina. So, we would have to allow time to drive from there to Florence, drop off the car and catch the train. Then we would have to decide to take the train to Naples or Salerno. We would probably pick Salerno since we are going to stay on that side of the Sorrentine Pen. Then we would have to transfer by bus or ferry to Amalfi. Then we would have to go from Amalfi to Praiano. I think that would take a lot longer than getting in the car in Castellina and driving the five and a half hours straight to our apartment in Praiano. Of course, we expect to have to stop on the way.<BR>There are so many wonderful places on the Amalfi coast. We decided to take an apartment in PRaiano. One reason is that this town is a little less touristy than Positano or Amalfi but I understand catching up fast.<BR>Another reason is that with a car it is not really practical to stay everywhere in this area. Parking is limited in some towns. From the Forum, we decided that we could get out and about a lot easier with a car from Praiano.<BR>But I have never been there, so we shall see. I will be glad to e mail you when we get back.