Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence: stay in town or outside of town

May 7th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Wanted to get opinions if it would be better to stay in the city center in Florence or to stay outside of the city or a nearby town and take the bus into town.
We are only going to be in Florence 3 nights (May 27 to May 30). When in Florence, we want to visit only the major attractions. Not too many museums. Maybe day trip to winery one day.

I currently have reservations in town in Florence (Cerratini Firenze Hotel) but debating whether or not it would be good to stay in a farm where is quiet and use it as base. I know I don't have much time left so I'm not even sure it would be possible to switch.

If your opinion is outside of town or in a nearby town, if you have any recommendations as to which location and place, that would be great!

Thanks!
May 7th, 2014, 05:01 AM

Stay in town - Florence is a lively town at night when folks are out for their nightly walk, etc.

If doing a farm check to see where you have to pick up the bus -may be a poke.

Well if you ask me I'd say town for sure - I'd save teh farm stay for when you want to spend the day in hill towns, etc.
May 7th, 2014, 05:04 AM

Stay in Florence, it is beautiful to walk around at night with all the bridges lit and the street art, cafes, music etc.
May 7th, 2014, 05:10 AM

For Florence, stay in town. It's more than museums, just strolling on the streets and bridges at night is wonderful. You can have a different stop and experience for a few nights outside of Florence, but do not try to combine them.
May 7th, 2014, 05:23 AM

Definitely stay in town. If you stay outside you'll need a car to get around to restaurants and to the bus to Florence and other places.

Why waste time getting into Florence if it's your goal to see Florence. Plus you'll have the evening to walk around, stopping in cafes, people watching, eating gelato.
May 7th, 2014, 05:42 AM

If I were visiting Florence (again), you couldn't pay me to stay on a farm.

As a compromise, you might look into staying in the Oltrano district, across the Ponte Vecchio. It's not in the center but is still walkable to the center.
May 7th, 2014, 05:45 AM

Definitely stay in town. If you have only 3 days, have no sense to get a car to go every day in the town and come back.
I go very often in Florence bacause I love it and only in town.
May 7th, 2014, 06:04 AM

Generally speaking, links between Florence and its suburbs are quite slow. Some suburbs like Fiesole and Settignano are exceptionally nice, some are very plain like Sesto and Scandicci, country places like Impruneta and Greve are nice but needing 35 to 50 minutes by bus - and bus timetables match students and commuter needs more than tourists. Having a private car is only marginally faster and finding parking in Florence a nightmare.
May 7th, 2014, 06:10 AM

Forget the country.

Stay here! beautiful apartment, excellent location and terrific price. We spent 5 nights there in March Great owner who was so helpful.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/662667?s=jjmz
May 7th, 2014, 06:14 AM

By all means stay in town. And stay in the center. The hotel you have chosen seems to be very centrally located. It is very easy to visit small towns near Florence, such as Fiesole, by bus from San Marco.
May 7th, 2014, 06:18 AM

Another vote for staying in the city. You can always take the bus out of the city. I wish I could still find my favorite BnB, but when I changed e-mails, I lost all that information.
May 7th, 2014, 07:00 PM

I recognized the street for the airbnb mentioned by DebitNM. I agree it's in an excellent location. Via Ricasoli, just north of the Duomo.
May 8th, 2014, 04:06 AM

Definitely stay in town. Bring a pair of ear plugs if you're a light sleeper "just in case".
May 8th, 2014, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your opinions. We are staying in town!

DebitNM: OMG! That apartment is adorable. I would book it right now but it's not available during our dates (5/27-5/30).

If you have any other suggestions like that one, please let me know. Currently paying a lot a night at Cerratani Firenze Hotel. Would love to get something like that.

Arrivederci!
May 8th, 2014, 04:52 AM

Maybe you ought to mention the rate at your current hotel. Personally, that area would be a bit too busy and crowded for me.
May 8th, 2014, 06:10 AM

We were going to stay at Hotel Casci.

http://www.hotelcasci.com
May 8th, 2014, 06:21 AM

Debit - marking this thread for that apartment! thank you for sharing.
May 8th, 2014, 06:42 AM

For future reference, we do enjoy staying in a smaller town about 35-40 minutes by pleasant bus ride away,

Impruneta. The bus stop is across the street from the villa where we stay. The villa includes an entire apartment unit for 80 euros a night. That way we combine country views/olive trees/vineyard views and space with time in Florence.
May 13th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

annw: can you share the link to the villa you stayed at?

jeannette
May 13th, 2014, 05:59 PM

Soitenly!

http://www.relaisvillalolmo.com/?gcl...FUVbfgodRBsAmg

I've stayed there 4-5 times.

There's also Villa Monteoriolo -- stayed there once.

http://www.villamonteoriolo.it/history.htm

I have reviewed both on Tripadvisor.

L'Olmo is a bit more convenient but they are both wonderful!