Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence - San Lorenzo v. Piazza Signoria - where to stay

Apr 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Could someone more familiar with Florence give me an opinion on which area would be better to stay in Florence? We found two apartments; one near the San Lorenzo market and the other right above the Piazza Signoria Square. It will be our first time in Florence and we will be coming from the train station. Both apartments have the same amenities we are looking for so our factors for determining which one to pick are:

- distance to train station
- safer area
- quieter area for a good nights rest
- closer to historic sights

Thanks in advance
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM

I stayed at a B&B on Piazza della Signoria. If the bedroom in the apartment actually faces the square, and the windows are not glazed well, you might encounter some noise at night.

While we are not terribly sensitive to noise, as we live in a large city, we did hear some carousing late at night. And this was in January. Another poster here, Sandi, also stayed at the B&B and might have some additional comments. It would help if you provide the exact addresses of both apartments.

The Piazza della Signoria is about the most central location one could hope for in Florence. But the city is small and most locations are easily walkable for people with unimpeded mobility. I would not want to walk to either of them however, from the train station, carrying heavy luggage.

Being near the Central Market would allow you to do some excellent food shopping if you plan to cook.

Both locations are supremely safe. There is not area in central Florence that I am aware of that would present the slightest danger to tourists. Of course you want to keep a watchful eye in and around the train station, but as far as cities go, even that area is just fine..
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ekscruncy, according to the owner, the window seems to be facing the square as well and is on the second floor. I do not know the exact address of eithe of them as it does not say.
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Are you planning a lot of day trips using the train? If not, forget about proximity to the train station and get a taxi from the train station. If so, I would pick the San Lorenzo location, because it is a bit of a shorter walk to and from the station.

Personally I'm not all that fond of the Piazza della Signoria. It's a real circus most of the year. The San Lorenzo market gets mobbed for sure, but you can walk around it, and it disappears at night. If you are right over it, without glazed windows, you have to ask about morning noise setting up the market.

Also, around San Lorenzo, you'll find little bars where you can sit and have a drink and it would cost you 20 euros. Around Piazza della Signoria, everything is geared to tourist prices.

ekscrunchy is right you will be personally safe. However, San Lorenzo attracts a lot of pickpockets, because of the close quarters and the fact people pulling out their wallets to make purchases. So just be mindful of that as you go to and fro, but it wouldn't stop me from being around there.

Echoing ekscrunchy, both are apartments are good for sightseeing.
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM

OOOOOps! Type alert.

I meant to type that it WON'T cost you a fortune to sit and have a drink or a coffee around San Lorenzo -- but around piazza della Signoria, you can get socked with high prices.
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM

PS: whichever one you pick needs air conditioning in warm months.