Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence, S. Tuscany, Rome: cheap and good?

Feb 15th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Hello

I have just registered with this site, and look forward to being an active part of the discussions. I travel to Italy for business and pleasure and the current rate of exchange for the US dollar and Euro is killing me.

In a few weeks, we leave for Florence, Pienza and Rome. Can anyone suggest dining options that are delicious and inexpensive? We like at least one full sitdown meal a day, and we don't have a lot to spend.

Thanks,
Debbie
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Debbie, the reason why no one has posted a reply so far is probalby because there are endless threads about restaurants in Rome and in Florence. You can search for them by entering "Rome restaurants" and "Florence restaurants" (without the parentheses) in the Search this Forum box.

As for Pienza, an old guidebook of mine that I found very reliable when I bought it recommends Il Prato, Buca delle Fate and Dal Falco in Pienza, all moderately priced. By all means, avoid the restaurant of the hotel that I think is called Il Chiostro; I have been reliably informed that in addition to being expensive, it is pretty dreadful.
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Eloise

I had been surfing the past posts here for a couple of months before I registered. I did gather some tips, but I do like current recommendations, and I sure was hoping for some more recs for low cost but especially worthwhile places.

But I will do another search, especially now that I've seen today's exchange rate. Yikes!

Feb 18th, 2004, 01:22 PM

There is a wonderful restauarant in the town of Pienza. Both the town and the restaurant are one of my favorites in all of tuscany...Latte Di Luna.
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:28 PM
rex

If you don't get answers that are to your liking, you might try finding an pold post that has some useful information and then adding your question on to the bottom of it, explaining how it does or does not answer your question.

Sometimes a question that has 3 or 4 responses showing, especially if it had a good message header/title will get more replies than a "naked" one.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:32 PM
ira

Hi t,

What is your budget?