Notices

Florence-rothenburg or colmar?

Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence-rothenburg or colmar?

Hi all. I will be in Florence, and unexpectedly have 5 more days in Europe. We need to be in Paris for a flight we booked to Southampton cruise port on July 31st. We have only 3 country Eurail pass for France, Italy and Belgium. We would like to spend the extra time we have in Rothenburg ob de tauber before heading to our flight at Charles de Gaulle. We were also considering Colmar. Can anyone recommend one over the other and, if rothenburg, what would be the cheapest and fastest way to get to CDG airport? Would really appreciate help as our trip is coming and the trains are confusing! The Eurail passes seem so expensive as it seems you have to buy the country pass and then pay for the seat as well!
Old May 22nd, 2016, 01:40 PM

Hi, the advantage of Colmar is that you can easily join Paris in 3.5 hours by train with only one change (Colmar-Strasbourg, Strasbourg-Paris).

Rothenburg-Paris by train is more complicated (generally 3 or 4 changes and 7 to 8 hours).
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:10 PM

Have you already bought the three country passes? Might not be worth while.
Have you considered any other places? Many charming places with medieval villages and towns in Provence, then a fast TVG train to Paris.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:55 PM

Rothenburg is good for one day.

Colmar has more to see and do as well as being a very short distance from a number of charming French wine villages easily reachable by car or public transit.

I would check bahn.de to check train schedules to get to each of them. And Colmar is a quick train ride to Paris.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:02 PM

Having been to both I would recommend Colmar. Although we loved Rothenburg, it is good for a day but there is much more to see in the Alsace region. Haut Konigberg castle was a fun way to spend the day. Lots of lovely little towns in the area. Might consider renting a car for your time in the Alsace region.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:16 PM

I thought Rothenburg (pronounced something like "roe-tin-burg"" was going to be something special, but it really wasn't for my family. My young children quickly dubbed it "Rottenburg." I thought the name unfair, but it let's you know what they thought of it.

Colmar would be a great place to while away a few days.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for helping me decide everyone. Colmar it is. I actually have been to Provence (and loved it)! Good suggestion. Happy travels!