Florence Rome London

Search

Florence Rome London

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence Rome London

I need to start in Florence to meet up with my daughter who will be wrapping up her abroad trip. Then we want to go to Rome and then to London then home to U.S. Any suggestions for itinerary and trains/planes? I will have about 8-10 days
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 01:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A couple of days (maybe 3 nights) in Florence so she can show you around, then train to Rome for 3 nights, fly to London for the remainder -- fly home from London. . . . You would need 10 days for this plan
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 01:47 PM

Not sure where you are coming from...the US?

You can fly to into Rome (I don't know if there are non-stops from US to Florence) and then take the train from FCO to Florence with a change at Roma Termini (as little as 2:14 total time and as cheap as 29€).

ssander
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 01:51 PM

To get from Florence back to Rome, it's about an hour and a half and about 22€.

ssander
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 02:13 PM

Fly into Rome and home from London. Vueling has 2 non-stops per day, Florence to London, one to LCY and one to Gatwick.
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 02:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My guess is they want to (almost have to) start from Florence -- not Rome. Since that is where the daughter is studying/living. So flying into Florence or Pisa . . .
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 02:44 PM

10 days (which would mean 11 nights on the ground in Europe) is not much time to try to cover three cities. Florence is relatively small, but Rome and London are not. I'd highly recommend that you add some time to this trip so you have time to get a glimpse of these wonderful places.
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I'll take it all under advisement. Yes I'm coming from U.S. I know it's not ideal to start in Florence but that's my situation. I'll try to stretch my vacation time since this may be my only chance to go to Europe.
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 04:27 PM

betsee...

My point was, that if you are planning to fly into Florence, you may have to connect in FCO anyway. It might actually be faster and easier (depending on connection times) to just get on the train at FCO. After all, the train drops you right in the center of Florence.

Of course, it might not be better. You should check the situation. Also, you might be connecting in Paris, London or Milan...or some other European gateway which would affect the total flight time.

What city in the US are you flying from?

ssander
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 11:26 PM

London to Paris from £45 www.eurostar.com

Paris to Zurich from €25 www.trainline.eu

Zurich to Milan I'd take the amazingly scenic Bernina Express, http://www.seat61.com/BerninaExpress.htm - follow my tips on that page to travel from as little as €29.

Milan-Florence from €19 www.trenitalia.com or www.trainline.eu

Though there are lots of other ways to do it!
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 02:55 PM
mjs

It will depend on where you live in the US as to whether it would be easier or less expensive to fly in/out of Rome. I agree with Kathie that 8-10 days is not time enough for Florence, Rome and London. Consider limiting your trip to Italy with Rome, Florence and possibly Venice or other places around Florence such as Pisa and Siena.
London is generally easier to get to and cheaper to get to than most other parts of Europe and could be done at a future date, possibly in combination with Paris.
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 03:50 PM

There are other good possibilities, depending on the specifics of your and your daughter's trip.
When is the trip? Dates?
Where will she be before Florence and how long will she already be in Florence before your arrival?
Is she with a group, friends, on tour, school, etc?
How long will she have been in Europe and where will she have been already?

One day more or less can make a difference in adding another place, and that depends on the place and flights or travel time.

With costs of flights being your major expense, try to squeeze in as many days and nights as possible