Florence/Rome Hotel For Pregnant Wife

Old Aug 30th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence/Rome Hotel For Pregnant Wife

Hi All,

Usually my wife and I rent apartments when traveling to Europe, however we are looking for a hotel this time around. My wife will be pretty far along in her pregnancy this time around and doesn't want to rent apartments for our quick trip back to Italy. We will be spending about 2 nights in Rome and 5 nights in Florence.

We are thinking about a hotel as my wife will be tired and not want to do as much walking as me. She wants somewhere to rest where she can do more than sit in an apartment if she feels the need to explore without going out by herself.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in both Florence and Rome that is close to the main attractions and provides a lounge or something to do outside of sitting in a room?

Thank you!
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 07:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We liked this historic little family-owned 'hotel' in Florence. Great central location. Very small, owned by two sisters who provide personal assistance if you need. There is a nice dining room open 24/7, with snacks available all the time. Also a small lounge by the front desk.

http://www.relaiscavalcanti.com/?lang=en

There is a lift, but you walk up about 10 steps to reach it, if that's a problem.

In Rome, we liked the Domus Julia, which is a hybrid apartment/hotel. We had a lovely, large room, which opened onto a kitchen and dining room shared with the room next to us. But no one was there, so we had it to ourselves.

The Domus Julia is part of the Hotel Julia, where you have a 24/7 front desk and breakfast served in a gorgeous dining room.

http://www.domusjulia.it

It is on a small, quiet street, practically next to the Spanish Steps, below the Villa Borghese, and very close to Via Condotti for high-end window shopping.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 11:28 AM

The best thing to do is to go to Booking.com & enter your actual travel dates & maximum price you are willing to pay per night, hen you can also use the filter features to show only hotels with an elevator, wi-fi, etc -- whatever amenities you want. You can read reviews & see loads of pictures of not only the rooms but the public spaces.

If you see a hotel you like, you can click on the map feature to see precisely where the hotel is located.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 11:31 AM

Also bear in mind there are only a very very very few hotels in Rome that are not located within 50 steps of a cafe (and within 100 steps of a church filled with astonishing art). I think it is a good idea to get a hotel with nice public spaces --- come to think of it, look at the Hotel Forum, which has the most charming public spaces, plus a rooftop bar/restaurant with a view of the Forum. But also keep in mind that until at least 7.30, your wife will also be able to walk to a cafe.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This doesn't really meet your criteria of central, but I stayed here in July precisely because I wanted a place with lounging areas because it was at the end of a three-week trip. Figured I might just want to relax and I've been to Rome quite a few times so hardcore sightseeing wasn't my goal. Maybe it will work for you.

http://www.hoteldonnacamillasavelli.com/
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 12:37 PM

When are you going? If in the summer/early fall months, ALBERGO DEL SENATO in the historic center of Rome has a gorgeous rooftop bar, with stunning views of Rome. The hotel is a small boutique hotel, directly across a tiny street from The Pantheon, and in the middle of one of Rome's oldest squares, with lots of trattorias, and an excellent gelateria just next door.

Rooms to look at in the hotel: The Seminario Suite, or one of the rooms/suites on the 6th floor with breathtaking views of The Pantheon.

In Florence, we really liked HOTEL LUNGARNO, on the Arno River. It's got lovely public spaces, and is close to all the jewelry shops along the famous bridge! Hmmm...
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 01:34 PM

You didn't say what your price point is so this may or may not be too expensive for you but I can highly recommend JKPlace in Florence. Great location on Piazza Santa Maria Novella and they have a very nice lounge and will remember what kind of tea/coffee you like after the first time you order. Also tea, coffee, light snacks are included in the price as well as a great breakfast.

If you are there during the nice weather months they have a great outdoor terrace and a rooftop terrace. The staff at this hotel are just lovely, your wife would be well taken care of.

Not far from the shops on via Tornabuoni, well, not far from all sorts of amazing shops really.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi All - Thank you for the suggestions this far. Our current plan is to be there the third week of October. We don't really have a price point yet as we aren't familiar with what we get for a $. The trip doesn't necessarily have a budget, but we are price conscious travelers.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 04:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
When you do narrow down your hotel choices, contact the hotels directly via e-mail. You can often get a better price going directly. Also, ask if they will give you a discount for paying in cash. (And if you do plan to pay in cash, plan ahead to get enough on hand.)
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

All, thanks for the great advice. We are going to add Bologna to our itinerary and am hoping for similar suggestions for this city. If anyone has a hotel they enjoyed, please let me know!
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Bologna I was very happy at the Corono d'Oro, but it can be expensive depending on dates of travel.

http://www.hco.it/
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 05:25 PM

I can heartily second relais cavalcanti in Florence.

When we arrived, I had a temperature of 104 and was very ill. There was an English doctor right across the square who saw me. The two sisters were very helpful. We had a room overlooking the square and hI spent four days looking out the window at the scene, totally missing Florence.

I think your wife will be very happy to spend some quiet time there if she needs to, and if she needs a doctor, with luck that lovely Englishman will still be across the road.

Ask for a room overlooking the square for the best view. Reasonably priced too.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 09:04 AM

I've stayed at the Forum... the view is wonderful, especially at night. When we were there the restaurant wasn't anything special, but perhaps that has changed.

It's expensive, but the Baglioni hotel in Bologna is a memorable experience.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 05:58 PM

For Rome check out Hotel Abruzzi (http://www.hotelabruzzi.it/index.php), located across from the Pantheon. The square in front of the Pantheon would be a great place for your wife to hang out. Some really good street performers were in the square when we were there. It's definately an area that would provide some diversions.
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. We ended up booking the Hotel Metropolitan in Bologna and the Milu Hotel in Florence.
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Lyn95: We changed our itinerary and are no longer going to Rome, but that is a wonderful suggestion. When we were in Rome last one of our fondest memories was of a street performer who serenaded us while we enjoyed a bottle of wine in the square in front of the Pantheon.