Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence restaurant help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-restaurant-help-504757/)

jaxman Feb 17th, 2005 11:28 AM

Florence restaurant help

I am staying just 3 nights in Florence at Torre Guelfa next week- I need help with dinner suggestions within walking distance or is it worth it to taxi to somewhere over the city with a view? We would love to try some florentine steak- Osvaldo? or Omero?
I always get the best suggestions from this site.
thanks is advance for any help offered
Jaxman

Jolie Feb 17th, 2005 11:55 AM

We enjoyed both Bucca Mario and Trattoria Al Trebbio. They're both near the Piazza Ottaviani and S.M. Novella areas - not too far from where your hotel is located, I think.

ira Feb 17th, 2005 12:01 PM

Hi J,

We very much liked Il Ritrovo
Via de’ Pucci 4/A 055.281688
Best food for the price Has fish. Full dinner w/wine abt 40E pp Closed Monday
From Pzza San Giovani (NW corner of the Pza del Duomo) walk one blk East to Via dei Martelli. Go left to Via dei Pucci. Turn Right. Look very carefully on left. No sign. Door could be locked. Ring bell.

>We would love to try some florentine steak- ...<

If you have had steak in Chicago, Kansas or Texas, prepare to be disappointed. Otherwise, you will like it.

((I))

ira Feb 17th, 2005 12:05 PM

PS,

Take the no.7 bus from the SMN train station up to Fiesole and watch the sun go down from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

I'Polpa in Fiesole (tel 05559485) has been recommended by others for its steak.

((I))

artlover Feb 17th, 2005 01:54 PM

We loved La Giostra. They're reviewed in Fodor's restaurants.

kimberlyb Feb 17th, 2005 02:13 PM

jaxman-I don't really remember where Torre Guelfa is, so I apologize if this restaurant isn't close by, but I HIGHLY recommend a restaurant called Il Latini. It was one of the highlights of our stay in Florence and we still talk about it to this day! If I recall it was listed in Fodors (we were there in late 2000). It gets crowded VERY fast -so if you are up for it have your hotel call ahead and make a reservation. It serves lots of meats (don't go if you don't eat meat) and you sit picnic table style with others. We had two Italian couples (who didn't speak English) and a couple from New York at our table and we all had a blast! Hope you can make it there. Have a great trip!

tuscanlifeedit Feb 17th, 2005 02:39 PM

Florence is so walkable that you can pretty much choose any restaurant in the center and have a pleasant stroll.

We always hit Ostera d'Benci for their Bistecca Fiorentina. IMO, it is delicious. They have rather inventive dishes, and we like it very much.

The last time in Florence, La Maremma wasn't opened, but if you have a taste for Tagliata (rare bistecca slices over arugula, with nice cheese shavings), this is about the best I've had. Yummy beef, done just right, and a great dish.

I've heard people say that Il Latini isn't what it once was, but I've always heard such mixed reviews (people seem to love it or hate it) that I've steered clear.

On Chowhound.com, Sostanza seems to get great recs for their bistecca. Very casual.

I had one meal last year that I didn't like, and that was at the hugely popular Baldovino. Maybe it was me, but I doubt I'll go back.

tracy Feb 17th, 2005 03:32 PM

I am looking at staying in one of two places in Florence. One is the Soggiorno Pezzati (500 meters from the train station SMN) and the other is the Piazza Dei Ciompi-Loggia (near the Santa Croce Square). Any opinions on either location?

jgray15 Feb 17th, 2005 03:46 PM

Second the recommendation for La Giostra. The food was great and the atmosphere was fun, if a bit smoky. Also recommend Trattoria Mario, Via Rosina, 2/R for lunch. The food is fabulous and their bistecca fiorentia is highly recommended.

Leely Feb 17th, 2005 04:02 PM

Egullet.com has a thread with Florence restaurants. Sometimes the reviewers include photos, which I particularly love because it's almost like being (eating) there.

Buon appetito!

ThinGorjus Feb 17th, 2005 05:30 PM

For good sushi, try Momoyama on the Oltrarno. Borgo Frediano, 10r. Very trendy.

MaryJG Feb 17th, 2005 06:03 PM

Why in the world would anyone want to eat sushi in Italy!!! Get a life! Italy has wonderful Italian restaurants. Eat sushi at home or in Japan.

M

artlover Feb 17th, 2005 06:37 PM

Mary JG,
Actually, I'm glad ThinGojus mentioned a sushi place in Florence. My daughter is going to school in Siena for Spring Quarter and she told me that the only thing she was worried about missing (besides her folks of course LOL) was sushi (we're from Seattle). Now she'll know about a sushi place!

ThinGorjus Feb 17th, 2005 06:47 PM

Mary JG, I don't see you offering any restaurant suggestions in Florence. I doubt you have ever left New Jersey. Minge.

jaxman Feb 18th, 2005 03:30 AM

thanks for the information I will look into all especially the one with only a wooden door that Ira mentioned-those kind are up our alley :) also booked to see David as Ira recommended
Jaxman

sandi_travelnut Feb 18th, 2005 05:57 AM

FYI on Steak Florentine, the couple of times I've had it the pieces were huge and thick and ar served pretty rare regardless of what you tell them.

ira Feb 18th, 2005 06:18 AM

We found a very nice Indian restaurant not far from the train station:

Salaam Bombay, Via F. Rosselli 45r
Where the locals go if they want something exotic. A good, inexpensive Indian restaurant. Excellent nan.

MaryJG Feb 18th, 2005 07:22 AM

Sure I have suggestions. Here's one of my favorites: Osteria del Cinghaile Bianco, Borgo S. Jacopo, 43r Very good boar dishes; reasonable prices.

Mary
(from CA)

Statia Feb 18th, 2005 07:36 AM

We had an excellent meal, as well as excellent wines, at Osteria dell Agnolo. They are located between the Duomo and the Church of San Lorenzo on Borgo San Lorenzo. They are on the right hand side if approaching from the Duomo.

http://www.deliciousitaly.com/osteria-agnolo.htm

kfusto Feb 18th, 2005 10:37 AM

I am one of those who think Il Latini is awful. I am Italian and found service was abrasive and the food Chef Boyardee. It was the worst meal we had in Florence and we visit 3-4 times a year. I know a lot of people really like it but I am not one.

I recommend Trattoria Perseos off Piazza della Liberta. It is residential area and the food is very good. My favorite spot is Trattoria Roberto on Via Castellani. It is a 15 minute walk from Torre Guelfa.