Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Florence, Pisa, Viareggio Weekend trip!
Notices

Florence, Pisa, Viareggio Weekend trip!

Jun 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Florence, Pisa, Viareggio Weekend trip!

Hello all!
I am currently a single teenage girl from the USA living in Rome this summer and I am planning to take a weekend trip up to Florence early Saturday morning by the fast train. I will be traveling with 2 other girls. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good hostel to stay in Florence that is close, nice and affordable?

On Sunday morning I am planning on waking up early, catching the bus to Pisa; snap a few pictures then head off to Viareggio for the rest of the day then travel back to Rome at night.
I know Pisa will only take an hour or two and I heard Viareggio beach was a great place to visit.

Any tips for my trip? Or possibly another suggestion of a place that is close to Pisa and wouldn't make it too difficult to get back to Roma Sunday night?
I know it's a lot of traveling and site seeing, but I am prepared!!

Thank you for your help,

Mackenzie
Jun 25th, 2013, 03:48 PM

mrk - that's a lot of travelling.

first of all, you'd be better off on the Train to Pisa, approx 1 hour and 20 mins or so from Firenze SMN station.

then, as you say, a couple of hours to see the sights of Pisa. so by now it's midday. the train from Pisa to Viareggio is about 20 mins, so you should be there by 1pm.

as for getting back to Rome, there are direct trains but they are few and far bewtween. on weekdays there is one that leaves Viareggio at 16.10 and just takes 3 hours but on a sunday, that train doesn't run until 18.40 and it gets into Termini at 21.50. AND it costs about €50.

the other trains take longer and you have to change multiple times.

however, if you went to Livorno instead, things begin to look up. it's still only 20 mins on the train from Pisa Centrale, but it seems to have more trains back to to Rome, and more direct trains - see trenitalia.it.

Buona fortuna!
Jun 25th, 2013, 05:35 PM

You might find this thread helpful and another thread that is linked on it about the same subject.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-the-beach.cfm

The Terravision bus (4.99€) only takes an hour between Florence/Pisa, but goes to the airport (5 minutes by train from the main station).

I agree you don't have time for so much. You would also have to figure out storage of your things unless you intend to drag them to the tower and the beach.
Jun 26th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I think I may scratch that plan but I only have this weekend and possibly a few others until I move seaside and it will be harder for me to get around Italy without being in Rome.

My tentative schedule is to get up early Friday morning take the fast train to Florence, spend the night in a hostel (still trying to find a good one) and then wake up early Saturday morning and take the first train to Venice and then leave Sunday night and get back into Rome a little before midnight.

I spent a little less than 2 days in Naples, Pompeii, and Capri. It felt like a long time because I did so much but it was do-able

Search this Thread