Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence: Overpriced Admissions & Dud Attractions

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Florence looks wonderful, but it sure seems expensive for a budget traveler. I need to use my time and money wisely.

What attractions seemed overpriced or be a waste of time and energy? I know its all subjective and depends a lot on your interests, but I'd like to see what you guys think.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM

Although I love Palazzo Pitti, I found that having to pay for each of the 8 museums within Palazo Pitti emptied my pocket fast. I don't remember there being a ticket for all the museums there, or else I would have gotten one.

Don't go for any packaged day tours within Florence, you'll find that to be a ripoff as most of the places you go to can be done on your own for much cheaper. Personally, I don't like being herded like cattle to leave a destination before I'm ready, especially if I've traveled so far. I'm a DIYer.

Also, if you have an iPod, I found a site with downloadable iPod guides for Florence, Venice and Rome, 3 cities close to my heart. Here's the link to the Florence iGuides. http://tinyurl.com/p4tua They're just for the David, the dome of the Duomo, and Piazza della Signoria (hope they add more soon!), and I'm downloading one to hear for myself right now.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:04 PM

What a cool IPod thing. Thanks for the tip. My DH and I will download before we go this summer.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM

You said it; I didn't: It depends on your interests.

I would not miss the Uffizi; the Accademia; the Bargello (Has it been mentioned at all? It is for sculpture what the Uffizi is for painting); the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (for the originals of the Doors of Paradise and Michelangelo's Pieta); the Museo San Franco for the Fra Angelicos. The Galleria Palatina in the Pitti Palace I'm less sure about; there are three or four paintings in there that I would not want to miss, but also many that I would not mind missing.

The churches are free: Santa Maria Novella for Masaccio and Ghirlandaio; San Miniato al Monte, because it's a jewel; Santa Croce and the Pazzi Chapel (there may be an admission charge for the latter); San Lorenzo and Santo Spirito as masterpieces by Brunelleschi; Ognissanti (even if you only look at the exterior); and probably one or two others.

I'm not mad about Michelangelo, but duty compels me to add the Medici Chapels (admission).

One or two of the Cenacoli are free, but I don't remember which ones; the Perugino Crucifixion is a free-will offering, as I recall.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the inputs. Those 6.5E x 2 fees add up quick, but time is also a big factor for us. We like to do a wide variety of things.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:30 PM

Eloise, darling, you forgot to mention the Brancacci Chapel at Santa Maria del Carmine in Santo Spirito. I wouldn't miss the Masaccio, Masolino, and Lippi frescoes for anything.

Masaccio's "Adam and Eve" will leave you dumb, darling.

And who forgot to mention the Bargello? I have been touting it on this forum for centuries.

Your thin and gorjus friend.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:37 PM

Polly dear,

I did not forget the Brancacci Chapel; I was watching Cato's pennies as requested. As I recall, the admission charge there is high, and one's time in the chapel limited.

As for the Bargello, I think I missed it in the nine or ten threads that Cato started today. I don't doubt that you have mentioned it in the past.

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

I plan to shell out a few very dear coins for the Bargello!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:52 PM

Florence is a rich guy's place - thought I had been robbed back at the hotel room at night when checking my wallet. Had to sell some of my Dolly Parton CDs to get back home.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM

Santa Maria Novella and Santa Croce are no longer free to enter, or at least they weren't in May 2004. It's a few Euros each.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM

Oops, didn't finish. Was going to say it's worth it for both. No question.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:56 PM

Look.....

Please read some history before you decide "what's worth it".

Recommended....The Agony and the Ecstasy, Brunelleschi's Dome, and the Autobiography of Benvenito Cellini.

Then, and only then, will you be able to know what "attractions seemed overpriced or be a wast of time and energy".

Why in the world would you go to Florence if you have no idea of its history. Or what the "attractions" represent?

A waste of time. Go to the Riviera and sit on the beach. sheesh.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
cmt

No "dud attractions" that I can remember.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:26 PM

Mcnyc--ok, the ipod downloadable....can you download that if you don't have an ipod? Like could I download it and burn it to a cd?
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM

Definitely no duds that I can remember. Overpriced? Depends on how you see things, but when you think of all the $$s people spend visiting museums here in the US, the amount you spend visiting historic sites in Florence is negligible.

It's a hard lesson I learned the first time I went to Florence as a tourist and skimped on seeing museums because I'd been there for work, thinking I'd already been behind the scenes. The minute I spent my then precious €s on admission to Palazzo Vecchio, I realized it was money well spent. Now, I don't hesitate to spend money to see the sites in the city I'm visiting. Even if it will break my piggy bank.

That doesn't mean I still don't think Palazzo Pitti was overpriced! But do see it. No lines, no waiting!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

jtrandoph, by your rude comments I can tell you are one class act.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:57 PM

There's no doubt that Italy's attractions end up being expensive, although very much worth it.

Ideally, you start with some explanatory books before you ever set foot in the attraction, although many of these might be available from the library. Then you might need to make a reservation for the museum (several Euros, if done by phone, and more if done through a third-party agency). Then when you get there, perhaps you'll want to buy a museum book and you'll probably want the audiophone. At least I think I almost always benefit from the audiophone. Then there's the museum admission itself. And once you get home, you might feel the need to get yet more books!

My main advice would be not to cram too many things into one day, particularly if you sense you are starting to feel overloaded. Definitely take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to be in Florence, but don't feel obligated to see everything. You don't want to end up with Stendhal Syndrome -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stendhal_syndrome

One major attraction and a couple of churches was about right for me.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:58 PM

Per day, that is. Then a concert in the evening.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

WillTravel, so that's what it's called! I thought it was "Madonna with Child" Syndrome.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 03:17 AM

Dejavu, are you sure Santa Maria Novella and Santa Croce REQUIRE admission, or do they just ask for a donation? I would be highly offended if a Catholic church demanded payment for entry. That would be absolutely unethical in my book.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -