Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence neighborhood recommendation -- family trip

Feb 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

My wife, 13 year old twins and I are going to Italy in late June for 12 days. Have not been to Florence before -- we'd like recommendations on which zone of the city to stay in 2 -3 nights before departing for Tuscany. Cam you give me insight on best zone of the city for walking-friendly sightseeing? Any Florence hotel recommendations for our family?
While I'm at it, any suggestion on which town to stay in Tuscany for 4 -5 nights -- I was thinking Siena (with a car rented after we complete our Florence visit) as a base for day trips.

Your insights are appreciated. thanks.
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM

If you stay in the Centro Storico virtually everything is within walking distance. The Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio, Ponte Vecchio, etc., are all lit up at night and make great photos.
Do you want two rooms or one for 4 people?
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

a suite or two connecting rooms would be preferable, although 1 large room might do the trick -- we are open to suggestions.
Thanks for feedback
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:50 PM
mms

We stayed at the Casci Hotel and loved it! We had a quad room with two twin beds and a queen, and the room was quite large. The owners are very nice and will treat you like family. The location cannot be beat either as it is within a a very short walk of the Duomo and other places.
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:38 AM
ira

ttt
Feb 13th, 2006, 09:46 PM

Regarding where to stay in Tuscany - I would recommend staying in the country, especially with two children. You can get a whole self-catering apartment on a vineyard for less than what a hotel room costs. There's much useful information at www.greve-in-chianti.com for the Chianti wine zone between Florence and Sienna. For your stay in Florence, I can recommend http://www.relaishotel.com/home.htm - an amazingly quiet street for the centre of Florence!
Feb 13th, 2006, 10:18 PM

When our daughter was 13 we took her to Italy and we stayed in Florence at a great place outside of town (walking distance) Hotel Villa Belvedere (www.villa-belvedere.com). We had a huge room and they have a gorgeous garden and pool (which will be nice in June) and the family who own it are wonderful.

Last year, our now 22 year old daughter returned to Italy for 6 months as a student in Siena and we stayed at the Villa Belvedere again and loved it again.

And Siena is an excellent choice--there are lots of students there so your twins will feel that great energy, and it's a fantastic town--lots to do there and nearby.

This will be a great experience for your twins...don't be surprised if they want to go back again and again! I wasn't!
Feb 14th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all for the feedback -- we are booked at the Casci and was very pleased to get a warm welcoming email from the management. Some of the message was standard, but it was scripted to address our family, and specific questions
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:29 AM

You will be pleased with the Casci. We've stayed in a quad there. Ask the hotel staff to make restaurant recommendations. They suggested some for our family that were delightful.

Florence is fairly compact. it is easy to walk almost everywhere. Take the twins to the History of Science museum. It's a nice break from art museums.