Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence - need a veryspecial restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-need-a-veryspecial-restaurant-308819/)

realtor Apr 20th, 2003 09:22 AM

Florence - need a veryspecial restaurant

Headed to Florence in 2 days.....meeting daughter who is studying there for family reunion. Here is the deal: daughter just turned 21, husband turns 60 while there ,sister just turned 50,i turn 55 as we return ...so A BIG BIRTHDAY dinner is obviously needed. Any and all suggestions would be lovely...we are foodies, and picky. Want to surprise who I can!<BR>thanks<BR>.b

lizzyinflorence Apr 20th, 2003 12:01 PM

Hi realtor,<BR>One that springs to mind is a restaurant called &quot;Nuovo Ranch.&quot; It is actually just outside the city in Osteria Nuova. You will need a car to get there. It is nestled on a hilltop in the country in the midst of olive trees. I don't know if their outdoor section is open yet, but indoors there are two large rooms, rustically furnished. The food is typical Tuscan, and delicious. They rarely get tourists, so it could be an immersion experience! (I am sure they speak english, however.) Good luck!

realtor Apr 21st, 2003 08:38 AM

Thanks for the reply...we will not have a car but i guess we can cab it....we are staying in an apartment so maybe the owners can help with that. I am not so worried about the language...I have almost no skills but a smile and pointing seem to work ok! really looking forward to beeing there.<BR>thanks again

elston Apr 21st, 2003 09:19 AM

What a fun &quot;blast from the past&quot; to hear that the Nuovo Ranch is still up and running. We rented a villa in nearby San Donato in Collina for a month in 1990 and ate at the ranch a number of times. You are talking an approximately 30 minute drive from downtown Florence. All those years ago, the decor was pleasantly rustic, the location crazy and remote (in a fun sort of way!) and the ambiance cheerful and family friendly - our son was about 8 years old at the time and the waiter would take him out to the kitchen to pick what he'd like to eat, letting him dig through the freezer for an ice cream treat for dessert. The food was simple, fresh and well prepared.<BR>Closer to the city, and considerably more &quot;special occasion&quot;, we very much enjoyed Centanni in Bagno a Ripoli - again, this is from somewhat dated experiences, but I note that Centanni currently has a nice website with menu details, etc.

lizzyinflorence Apr 22nd, 2003 03:19 AM

elston, nuovo ranch has not changed at all! and you are right about the distance. it is a bit of a hike. i haven't been to centanni, but it sounds great.

DRJ Apr 22nd, 2003 05:17 AM

REALTOR:<BR><BR>I enthusiastically recommend Il Ritrovo, 4/A Via de' Pucci, a block or so from the Duomo. It is down a flight and you will be met at the door by Rosetta (a most beautiful woman) who will seat you in elegant surroundings. Her husband runs the kitchen with a sure hand. I was in Florence four days in late February and ate there every day. The bistecca Fiorentina is stupendous!

bookchick Apr 22nd, 2003 06:06 AM

&quot;Da Noi&quot; on via Fiesolana. It's very small, so you'll need a reservation, but the food, service &amp; atmosphere are utterly fantastic.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

ira Apr 22nd, 2003 06:16 AM

Hi realtor,<BR><BR> Here are a few places I have garnered from this forum.<BR><BR>I' Polpa abt 20 E/pers <BR>Tuscan cuisine Antique ambience<BR>P.zza Mino, 21 closed Wednesday<BR>Fiesole tel. 05559485<BR>Micheline Guide rated <BR> Take the no. 7 bus to Fiesole<BR><BR>Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco <BR>43 Borgo San Jacapo <BR>Rave reviews on Fodor<BR>around ?30 for dinner plus wine, <BR>Thu–Tue 12:00–15:00 &amp; 18:30–23:30, closed Wed, reservations wise, tel. 055-215-706).<BR><BR>Alle Murate Via Ghibellina,52/r Seafood dinner only closed monday Rave reviews on Fodor<BR>This is one of the few places in Florence where you can eat great fish. <BR><BR>Quattro Leoni<BR>Piazza della Passera, Via dei Vellutini 1/r, near the Pitti palace<BR>Lots of good reviews. Make reservations.<BR><BR> <BR><BR>

ira Apr 22nd, 2003 06:56 AM

Hi realtor,<BR><BR> Here are a few places I have garnered from this forum.<BR><BR>I' Polpa abt 20 E/pers <BR>Tuscan cuisine Antique ambience<BR>P.zza Mino, 21 closed Wednesday<BR>Fiesole tel. 05559485<BR>Micheline Guide rated <BR> Take the no. 7 bus to Fiesole<BR><BR>Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco <BR>43 Borgo San Jacapo <BR>Rave reviews on Fodor<BR>around �30 for dinner plus wine, <BR>Thu�Tue 12:00�15:00 &amp; 18:30�23:30, closed Wed, reservations wise, tel. 055-215-706).<BR><BR>Alle Murate Via Ghibellina,52/r Seafood dinner only closed monday Rave reviews on Fodor<BR>This is one of the few places in Florence where you can eat great fish. <BR><BR>Quattro Leoni<BR>Piazza della Passera, Via dei Vellutini 1/r, near the Pitti palace<BR>Lots of good reviews. Make reservations.<BR><BR> <BR><BR>

fluffy Apr 22nd, 2003 07:56 AM

Does anyone have a web address, phone# or email for Centanni &amp; Bistecca Fiorentina?<BR>Thanks for any info.<BR>Fluffy

elston Apr 22nd, 2003 08:26 AM

If you do a google search for &quot;centanni restaurant&quot; you'll find several links to their website (too long to type out here!) Bistecca Fiorentina is the way the FLorentines list their wonderful steak on any menu you will see in the area and is not the name of a restaurant. Buon apetito!

fluffy Apr 22nd, 2003 10:48 AM

Thank you<BR>Fluffy

Kate Apr 23rd, 2003 05:04 AM

If money is no object, then go to Enocteca Pinchiorri i probably the most famours Florentine restaurant, renowned throughout Italy. I believe it has the most Michelin stars of any restaurant in Italy and reputedly the finest/largest wine cellar in Europe (the wine list arrives in two bibles).<BR><BR>I went last year and had the tasting menu - a dazzling 10 courses. The wine was really expensive so we chose the cheapest (at about 75 euros a bottle). The waiters proceeded to give us loads of other drinks, which were were panicking about paying for, but when the bill came they were free.<BR><BR>The bill was about 300 euros for 2, so it's definately a treat.