Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence leather school - What types of goods and what quality can be purchased here?

Search

Florence leather school - What types of goods and what quality can be purchased here?

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious is this is a good, less expensive option to find a leather handbag or other accessories?

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:06 PM

First, you're buying silver, then leather? LOL.

We stopped at the leather school and didn't find the prices to be especially low -- competitive but not low.

I thought some of the street vendors, such as at the Mercado Nuovo, had decent prices and quality. Be prepared to bargain with them.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Well, leather, silver, food and wine...not necessarily in that order of course

Thanks for the tip on the leather school. I thought we might find better prices there, but I guess we'll just have to check out a few different places to compare.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Hi hipvirgochick, when checking out leather goods in Florence if this is important to you do make sure that the leather goods were made in Italy by Italian artisians and not by some factory in Italy owned by a foreign company that does not provide Italian quality leather goods..or goods made other than in Italy.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM

I agree that the prices at the Leather School are competitive but not especially low. The quality is very good however and you know that the goods are made right there. They have a nice selection of small souvenirs (frames, wallets, bookmarks, jewelry boxes etc.) and of course lovely purses and jackets. In addition, you can have three initials embossed in gold on any of your purchases for free. I've brought home many personalized gifts from here and they have all been admired and very appreciated.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly - Good point. It's definitely important to me that it's made or handcrafted in Italy

Grinisa - I think the school is convenient to where we're staying (in the Santa Croce area) so we'll definitely take a look. Mostly I'd like a nice leather handbag, but not horribly expensive. The other items would be nice for gifts though...
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:26 AM
ira

Hi Hip,

As noted, the school has very good quality at competitive, but not low, prices.

We found a fantastic opera cape for my Lady Wife, but didn't happen to have 3000E on us at the moment.

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Ira - I can't believe you didn't snatch that right up! What a bargain For that price I'd have to be finding a lot more uses than just opera
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:39 AM

We found that they had a wonderful selection of items - better than most of the leather shops we visited. But like the others mentioned, not really less expensive. The quality was very good, however. I ended up bringing home a beautiful red leather briefcase from there, and I've enjoyed it so much since.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jun - As long as it's good quality and comparable in price, it sounds like I might find something really nice to bring home