Florence - JK Place or Westin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to Florence this summer with my parents (in their late 50s). Deciding between the basic room at the Westin Excelsior and the deluxe/superior room at JK Place. Any advice? I realize these hotels are very different in decor and attitude. I am most interested in the comfort of the accomodations and service. Westin seems so expensive for a basic room! Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:56 AM

Also look at room size, JK Place's rooms are large, their doubles are 35 square meters. I have not stayed in the Westin, but I belive that some of their double rooms are on the small side, like 25 square meters. I would contact the Westin and ask about room size. Personally, the decor of the Westin is little too much for me, marble, chandliers, etc. Not really my taste. I love the modern understated decor of the JK Place and the quieter ambience, its much smaller and feels more private. The location of the Westin is probably better, being on the river, and the area around the JK Place is a just little bit shabby although it is near the train station and the wonderful pharmacy at Santa Maria Novella, so those are pluses. If you were choosing only between those two, I would choose the JK Place actually.

Can I throw out a whole new recco and suggest the Lungarno Suites. Great location on the river looking onto the Ponte Vecchio, good room size (they are all suites) should be about the same price as the Westin and a bit more than the Lungarno, really nice decor (sleek and modern). Take a look at Lungarnohotels.com. The group runs several other hotels, including the Contentiale and the Lungarno, my only issue with the Lungarno is that even their largest junior suite is only like 32 square meters, not very big for a junior suite and pricey for the space.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:03 AM

I stayed at the Excelsior last summer... it was fantastic! We were upgraded to a suite due to my husband's starwood status, so I can't comment on the standard room size. However, the service was wonderful... professional yet very warm.

You can view my photos of the hotel at http://www.worldisround.com/home/awbaker/index.html... It is the Italy 2005 album.

The location was fine. It was nice to be right on the river, but it is a walk from everything. A pleasant walk along the river, but still a bit of a walk.

We had drinks at the Savoy Hotel bar... wow! That is one hotel where I would love to stay in Florence if money were no object. Great location and fantastic decor.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. What about the Gallery Art Hotel? It's in the Lungarno chain. Rooms look pretty small and maybe too painfully hip?
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:17 AM

I just stayed at the Savoy in February and want to live there. That's how much I liked it. It was off seaon and I got a really good rate of 209 a night. It will be higher in the summer but if you shop around you may be able to find a good $$. I booked directly thru the hotel. Location is fab and their bar makes for a good perch.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

It does look luxurious! Maybe we'll visit the bar...
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:58 PM

I don't like the Gallery Art because it doesn't have river view rooms, but I think it would otherwise be fine if that doesn't matter to you, the location is otherwise very good. It is probably the most serously trendy of their hotels, but hey it the Feragammos and its Italy so maybe you just have to go for it. They have changed their website, they used to give room sizes and now I can't find them, you might e-mail or fax them for average room sizes just to check. You might as well get what you pay for.

Rooms at Savoy are again on the small side, this is a Rocco Forte hotel and he tends to do this, you pay a lot of money for like 30 square meters. A little bit noisy on the Piazza, IMO, but otherwise a nice location and he runs great hotels, the del Russie in Rome is my favorite.