Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

florence italy - trouble ordering museum tickets online

Apr 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM
loc
Original Poster

Has anyone else had this problem trying to order museum tickets online from the official site in Florence - Polo Museale. Each time I get through the whole transaction, it comes up error and cancels. I've poured over the website trying to find one phone number to order for the different museum on their site. Do I need to call each one individually?
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:06 PM

I have been having the same problem, and when I tried to email them an error screen came up saying I had not completed the form, when everything was filled in.
Sorry I can't help but I hope you have luck getting your tickets!
GG
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:41 PM
dro

I did it by phone and reserved tickets for the Uffizi and the Academia. It was very quick and easy.
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:48 PM

Just a thought...if you are staying in Florence, then the hotel or B&B might be able to reserve tickets for you. Our B&B reserved tickets for the Uffizi, and we were able to bypass the line and go right in. It might be worth it to contact them.
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:49 PM

Firenze Musei, Tel: 055 294883
Costo della prenotazione: € 4,00

it took a bit of doing but this is the official phone no for booking tickets for both uffizi and the accademia. when you get through [and remember how far ahead of you they are, timewise] they wil ask if you want the italian or english service; if you say english they will still ask you some qs in Italian, for some reason. just ask them to speak english, and they will.

if you are interested in other museums, there is now a firenze card which seems to cover all of them. I'm considering it for my trip in May.
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Hello loc, if you are in the US and not familar with calling to Italy I just wanted to let you know that you will need to dial 011 (for international calls) and 39 (the country code for Italy) and of course the phone numbers that annhig kindly gave you.
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Ask your hotel to do it.
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:51 PM

Calling is the easiest way. Just remember that they're not open on Mondays.

Also, if you do reserve tix for the Uffizi for a specific time, and you find yourself in a long line to pick up reserved tickets, and your reserved time is passing, send someone to the front of the line to tell the guard what time your reservation is for. He will usher you right through. At least, he did for me, which I was very grateful for!
Aug 8th, 2011, 10:48 AM

We reserved our Uffizi tickets using the Select Italy website because we wanted to pay online through a reputable and trustworthy website. It worked out fine for the Uffizi gallery; we could pay conveniently online more than a week before departure, and we skipped the extremely long line at the Uffizi.

However, Select Italy was not the best way to go in terms of price: Uffizi tickets were 42 USD each but the Uffizi website lists tickets for under 12 EURO. Our reservation for Florence's Boboli gardens was much more than the cost at the box office: on Select Italy it cost $32 USD/ticket and people in the relatively short and quick line up paid 9 EURO for the same ticket. grumble grumble.
Aug 8th, 2011, 12:11 PM
J62

"reputable and trustworthy" site.

I would not consider a site that charges a 150% markup ($42 vs $17) to be reputable and trustworthy.
Aug 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM

I've always asked our hotel to make museum reservations for us, but in the last year or so some people have reported here that their hotel charged a fee for this service. As long as the hotel tells you about any fee up-front, and the fee is only a couple of euros, I'd still ask for their assistance. International phone calls aren't free either.
Aug 8th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Perhaps your cc company is denying the transaction because you haven't notified them you're making an overseas purchase?

Just a thought.
Aug 8th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Tania, I too am curiuos as to why you wanted to order online when you could have just telephoned and paid 1/3 what you ended up paying?!?
Aug 8th, 2011, 02:25 PM

Staying at the Hotel Casci and they were able to reserve day and time for us at both. Much easier than trying to call within working hours given our time difference. They provided me with the reservation number etc.