Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence: in what district should we stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 10:26 AM
sarob

Two trendy gals who work in the fashion business (but have never had the pleasure of visiting Florence before!) are looking for a chic neighborhood to stay in while visiting Florence in late October. Searching for fun -- boutique hotels, great shopping, restaurants and bars... would like to be walking distance to all of these! (Don't mind cabbing it to the galleries and museums!) Thanks in advance for the tips!!

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 12:59 PM
roman

Hi Sarob, <BR> <BR>Don't know the district but I stayed at Loggiata Dei Serviti which was walking distance to everything. It's a converted monastery/nunnery with thick walls so it is very quiet. It doesn't have too many amenities but the locale is great!! <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Steve the Guide

Very nice place near Florence is Fiesole <BR>overlooking the town from a hill. I deeply suggest Hotel Villa Fiesole,which is only 20 minutes by bus to Florence. <BR>Quite hotel with reasonable price for that area. They have their own web-site. <BR>

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 03:41 PM
christina

ciao sarob <BR> <BR>why don't you stay at salvatore ferragamo's galery hotel art? this is the most trendiest place for fashionvictims to stay right now. the rooms aren't cheap (as far as i remember you pay between 550'000 to 600'000 lire for the double room) but you have a lot of art directly in the hotel and a very hip bar, called fusion bar, where one of the owners of caffé hemingway is doing catering and you can eat good sushi there as well. anyway, it's right on ponte vecchio, perfect location and you are in walkingdistance to everything. <BR> <BR>tanti saluti <BR> <BR>christina

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 06:49 AM
s.fowler

Thanks Christina! I'm interested in answers to this question too.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 08:21 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, Sarob <BR>Have used the Hotel CONTINENTAL , Lugarno Acciaioli,2 which is a four star hotel with 61 rooms located at the north <BR>end of the Ponte Vecchio about 8 times since 1978, have been very satisified <BR>with its location, the service and accomodations, front rooms can be noisy <BR>facing the Lugarno, however have excellant views. <BR>Across the Arno just west of the bridge <BR>is the Hotel LUNGARNO, which is a sister <BR>hotel of the Continental and run by the <BR>same group.See www.lungarnohotels.it/ <BR>for information on both hotels. One which we have not stayed here however <BR>is the HOTEL ALESSANDRA, Bogo S.S. Apostoli, 17 which has 25 rooms, 16 with <BR>toilet & bath or shower, seems very interesting. Suggest you checkout <BR>www.hotelalessandra.com, has a pretty <BR>good looking website. Also if you <BR>have need of a list of Florence ristorantes which we have used in the <BR>past is yours for the asking. <BR>One suggest excellant place for womens <BR>clothing Luisa Spagnola located just <BR>west of the Pza della Repubblica, this is repeated stop each time we are in Firenze or Venice.. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Helen Donegan

Message : Richard <BR>Did you know that Luisa Spagnoli has a factory shop in Perugia? <BR>It depends when you go there what you will find - some of the stuff is rubbish; some have a slight imperfection (they will point it out to you because it is not always easy to find); some is last year's fashion (after 40 I don't think it makes any difference!). You can get some very good bargains if you are a good shopper! <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Arnold Scherz

Hotel Lungarno located in oltarno on the Arno with incredible views of the river and Ponte Vecchio. This the ultimate boutique hotel. It is a member of the small luxury hotel group and reservations are made through this group. Also, everything in Florence is walkable. The only taxi you need is upon arrival from the airport or train station.