Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence in Early August - Way too Hot? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-in-early-august-way-too-hot-534262/)

arewethereyet Jun 4th, 2005 08:40 PM

Florence in Early August - Way too Hot?

We've been planning our 4 country trip for so long, and long ago we settled on basing ourselves in Florence for our 4 nights in Italy. I had heard that it would be hot in August, but today I was reading several guidebooks, and I see that it's also quite humid. I'm not sure how uncomfortable it's going to be, and I'd like to hear from those who have been there in August. I can take the heat (I'm originally from Arizona), but I really don't do well in humidity (I'm originally from Arizona). Is this going to be like heat and humidity in the South? I'm concerned that maybe we need to change our destination in Italy, but I really had my heart set on Florence!

nytraveler Jun 4th, 2005 09:12 PM

In August in Florence you can expect daily temps of 90 to 100 plus quite a bit of humidity. And many places do not have AC. If you do this be sure the hotel had strong, modern AC that runs 24 hours per day - other wise you might get the typcial Italian AC - which takes temps down 10 degrees or so - and you still sweat all night.

(This is the reason we go there in May or October.)

valtor Jun 4th, 2005 10:58 PM

I think that August is not a good month to visit Italy, not only because the hot & humid weather, but also because Italy is in vacation. On July 31 all Italy start summer holiday, that means many of small shops, hotels, restaurants are closed and a lot of local people leave Italy. So, most of the people on the streets will be turists.

CiCi Jun 4th, 2005 11:19 PM

Florence is hot and HUMID in August. When we were there in August 4 yrs ago, it was miserable touring! It was very hard to focus on the beauty surrounding us, as our clothes stuck to us, our hair plastered to our sweaty faces and everyone felt so lethargic and yucky.

And as nytraveler states--our expensive hotel's AC only lowered the temp about 10 degrees, if that. On the other hand, when we visited in October we had a blast!

So it is up to you to decide if seeing Florence is worth putting up with hot humid days. (or if possible, change to the fall)

eri Jun 4th, 2005 11:28 PM

Yes, it is too hot!!!

ira Jun 5th, 2005 02:51 AM

Hi are,

Yes, it will be hot and humid, but not as if you were in Savannah, GA or New Orleans.

Take a tip from the Ialians who live there. Do your sight seeing in the early morning and the evening. Take a long, quiet lunch in the shade. Drink a lot of water.

Take the no. 7 bus from the train station up to Fiesole to catch the breezes.

Enjoy Florence.

((I))

elaine Jun 5th, 2005 05:40 AM

I like ira's advice, just go with the flow. Many of the historic buildings don't have a/c, so plan your sightseeing for early in the day or just before closing; at least the crowds will be less.
Summer is hot in Italy, no getting away from it, but I don't see that as a reason to skip Florence (or any of the important cities, which will be equally-hot--well, Venice might be a bit cooler.)

for historical temperatures, see www.wunderground.com or www.accuweather.com

Ann1 Jun 5th, 2005 08:09 AM

We spent the whole month of August in Florence a couple of years ago. We had an apartment in a 500 year old building with no AC and a 3rd floor walk-up. We also had our classes in a building with no AC. If you do what Ira said, you'll be fine. Would August be my first choice, no. Would I do it again if I could only go in August, absolutely.

arewethereyet Jun 5th, 2005 08:34 AM

Thank you for the replies. I shot off an email to the Residenza Il Villino to verify that the apartment we have does have a/c. Then I just went through all of last summer's comments from Trip Advisor (for our hotel). It seems that people did indeed find the weather hot, but the rooms were cool, and nobody said they had a miserable time. I think I'll have to go with the last few pieces of advice, and as was said, just go with the flow. I'll definitely be willing to just get out of town when I can't stand it - I just don't want to miss Florence! Thanks again!

Weadles Jun 5th, 2005 11:19 AM

We were in Florence last August. It was very hot and humid, but as other posters have suggested, we got out early to sightsee, and when the heat became too much took countless gelato breaks! I really think you'll be fine as long as you plan around the heat. Just wanted to add that I was expecting NOT to like Florence, and to my shock, liked it better than Rome! Have a great time.