Reload this Page >

Florence in August -- Is AC a Must?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:17 AM
awbaker

We're trying to finalize our hotel choice -- Tourist House Ghiberti or Il Bargellino.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Carmel at Il Bargellino, but I don't see any info re: ac on the website or her email offer to me.

Both hotels have been well regarded on this forum, but Il Bargellino saves us a total of 100 Euros during our stay.

If Florence is too hot in late August without ac, though, that makes our choice much easier.

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:30 AM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi aw,

I highly recommend AC. It is especially useful for sleeping.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Yes!
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:55 AM
awbaker

Thanks ira and sera. I assumed "yes" would be the answer, but just wanted confirmation... Now I just need to hear back from Carmel.

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:49 AM

I am one who enjoyed Tourist House Ghiberti. However, do not want to try to convince you to spend more than you want to for your hotel. Therefore, I will offer these thoughts (which you may indeed have already considered) in case Il Bargellino replies with no A/C.

Last spring at THG Claudio offered a discount (8%) for cash settlement, and I noticed on a thread earlier this month that a poster reserving for this summer is being offered the same discount.

Il Bargellino's web site states they do not include breakfast, so if you are breakfast eaters you'll need to subtract your breakfast expenses from your "savings".

We did not spend any of our vacation time or money in internet cafes but it was nice to have free high speed internet access in our room at THG.

Best wishes for a comfortable and enjoyable experience wherever you choose.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 08:16 AM
awbaker

rookie -- good point about breakfast (or lack thereof.) Thanks for the info on the discount, but I don't think the 8 % would make a big difference to us. I'd prefer the ease of a cc, plus the frequent flyer miles we'd obtain for future trips. Another question for you -- is there a specific room at THG which is preferable?

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Tee-hee! We did the same math on the cash discount vs benes with CCs, but to some it can make a difference.

I believe we were in Room 2 which looks to be the panoramic view room on their website. It was spacious (large by Euro standards) with a king bed. The bathroom featured on their website is not the bathroom we had though. Ours had a full bathtub with shower - the one pictured appears to be shower only.

A note about their "hot" tub if that is of interest to you. It was clean and refreshing, but the water temp was more tepid, not 102 degrees hot, so even in August those jets on tired muscles will be relaxing.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:08 PM
awbaker

Thanks for the additional info, rookie. I think I will request room 2 if THG is where we decide to stay (most likely!) Best wishes to you too!