Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence in 1 day....help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-in-1-day-help-731377/)

msmarty Aug 23rd, 2007 02:01 PM

Florence in 1 day....help

Schedule got jammed and only have 1 day in Florence. What must I squeeeeze into that day?

aucho53 Aug 23rd, 2007 02:05 PM

Hi msmarty,

If I only had 1 day in Florence I would want to see (in no particular order):

Il Duomo
Ponte Vecchio
Piazza Della Signoria
The Street Markets

Those are my personal must sees, and I think its feasible to do them all in one day.

You may want to go check out the David or look into seeing the Boboli gardens if that interests you.

Florence is pretty compact and very walkable.

Enjoy!

Layla %%-

marginal_margiela Aug 23rd, 2007 04:45 PM

Well, darling, you will want to go to Farmacia Santa Maria Novella at 16n Via Scala to buy some pot-pourri and Vetiver soap.

Then you want to wander over to Accademia to see David. If you do one thing in Florence, it is to see David.

Wonderful pot-pourri and a rock-hard ass. What could be better???????

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus

dina4 Aug 23rd, 2007 06:05 PM

I would start by climbing Giotto's Campanile (no lines compared to climbing the Duomo). I will give you a great view and beautiful overview of the city. See the Duomo and Baptistry.

Then, in no particular order, have reservations set for seeing David, and if you're interested the Uffizi. Hang around in the Piazza della Signoria, and take a walk on the Ponte Vecchio.

This will leave a bit of time for meals, gelato, and shopping in the wonderful markets and shops.

But I agree with thin gorgeous.. if you only do one thing, it would be to see David. (and visitng the Farmacia was pretty special, but now they have chains in NYC and LA!)

Have a great time! Florence is an amazing city!

caroltis Aug 23rd, 2007 08:00 PM

I too would not miss David. Make an appointment and go as early in the day as possible. Skip Duomo interior but marvel at its exterior. My favorite church by far is Santa Croce - it's stunning and houses tomb of Michelangelo, et al. A visit to San Lorenzo/Medici Chapel is high on my list. Lunch at Baldovinos (their pizza is incredible)and go early to get a seat - located on the north side of San Lorenzo. Evening meal at Tratorria ZaZa in San Lorenzo area. Stroll through the markets - purchasing leather gloves to take back home. The Ponte Vecchio at sunset is magical and provides great photo opportunity. Boboli Gardens and Uffizi are fantastic but I think they take a lot of time to explore...you might save them for next trip. That's pretty much a full but satisfying day. Florence is compact and very easy to get to all the major areas.

blackduff Aug 23rd, 2007 08:10 PM

My short list is as follows:
>David
>Ponte Vecchia
>Large market near the Duomo
>Rub the nose of the Sanglier and put a few coins into the grate (for luck)

If you're leaving, buy a roasted chicken to carry away. The chicken is stuffed with rosemary and thyme. Miammmm! This is sold in most of the rotisseries.

For men, the superb shoes are available but they're not cheap. They fit like gloves.

Blackduff

KTtravel Aug 23rd, 2007 08:27 PM

I would not climb Giotto's tower (sorry, dina!) unless you are in great shape as it is quite a long ways up. It does offer a great view, but you will want your energy to see all of the other recommendations you have already received.

Enjoy Florence!

camelbak Aug 23rd, 2007 08:42 PM

I would definitely go and see David - nothing like it in the world.

Climb the Campinile if the line ups for the Duomo climb are too long.

Check out San Lorenzo market, and the church - it's gorgeous.

Also try to get to Santa Maria Novella church - hey it's right near the Pharmacy! Really lovely church, quiet and has some lovely paintings.

Lunch at Osteria de Pazzi near Santa Croce for their steak and then go for a stroll along the Arno, over the Ponte Vecchio and grab a gelato and people watch near the Pitti Palace.

Hopefully you will be able to catch a beautiful sunset in one amazing city!

Have a lovely time!!

Shanti Aug 23rd, 2007 08:57 PM

If I had one day in Florence, I would get up early and go walking around the area around the Duomo & the Uffizi. At 8AM, they were almost empty and I was able to just walk in & to the top of the duomo without any line.

I would see David. All of the above posters are right - it is magnificent and truly not to be missed.

Then I'd walk down the street and get some wonderful gelato at a shop run by a Sicilian couple. (Sorry, I don't remember exactly which one, but maybe someone else can come up with better info.

And I'd watch the sunset over Florence. I've only been to Piazzale (sp?_) Michelangelo, and it offers fun people watching as well as a lovely view of Florence but other posters have recommended going to Fiesole instead.

Have a wonderful time - it's glorious.

ira Aug 24th, 2007 03:44 AM

Hi M,

Here's my suggestion:
A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Train to Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

If you have time, take the no. 7 bus (you can find it at the SMN train station) up to Fiesole (0:20 hr 1E) to watch the sunset from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at www.trenitalia.com

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. There is a long listing of press 1 for this and 2 for that--press 4 for bookings. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Have a nice visit.

((I))

jabez Aug 24th, 2007 03:50 AM

What ira said.

boom_boom Aug 25th, 2007 11:34 AM

topping

tdk320n Aug 25th, 2007 11:44 AM

bookmark

BarbaraS Aug 26th, 2007 05:01 AM

bookmarking

AmanteDelLimoncello Aug 26th, 2007 04:47 PM

bookmarking