Florence in 1 1/2 days - how to spend??

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 09:04 AM
gerry

Florence in 1 1/2 days - how to spend??

This will be our schedule on May 22- May 23
May 22 Monday afternoon - Florence
May 23 full day in Florence
may 24 go to Pisa for half a day then back to Florence for the night.

Can anybody suggest how to fit the must-see's
in my schedule including the nap time of my 2 1/2 yr old boy. Can anybody suggest a good but inexpensive restaurant for May 23 and May 24 dinner. How's walking between sites? How's the view from Piazzale Michaelangelo? I want to do also a little shopping.
thanks.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Paulo

Sites in Venice are pretty much concentrated in the old center. No problem strolling between them.

I take it that you'll be taking the 8:40am ES train from Venice, arriving at 11:18am. From the station to the hotel, check in, etc., and you'll be able to go around 1-1:30pm after a light snack for lunch.

I also take it that you'll be wishing to visit the Uffizi (3 hours) and the Accademia (1 hour) in Florence. Book these and play the rest accordingly. Do the Accademia (eventually coupled with Palazzo Vecchio) on arrival day and the Uffizi the next day in the morning, or vice-versa, depending on availability. Because of your 3 year old, I wouldn't do these in sequence on your full day there. Reserve the afternoon of your full day (after you son's nap) for visiting some churches (Duomo, San Lorenzo, Sta. Maria Novella, Sta. Crocce, etc., and for strolling the old city center.

You may find interesting souvenirs (and lot's of junk) in the San Lorenzo market. Shopping there or not, it's an interesting experience.

Owing to your time restrictions, I don't know if I would plan going up to Piazzale Michelangelo ... Play it by year ... if you have spare time, just do it, otherwise you would spend less time climbing Giotto's Campanile when visiting the Duomo. One other nice view of Florence from the top of the Fortezza di Belvedere in the Giardini del Boboli, but I don't think you'll have time for this diversion.

Regarding restaurants, you may refer to the "good restaurants on a budget - Italy" thread.

Paulo

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 11:49 AM
Phil

Florence is relatively small compare to like Rome. Other than Piazzale Michelangelo, you can pretty much walk to all the main sites. Start early to the Galleria Dell' Accademia to see "David". Then straight to the amazing Duomo and the Baptistery. Next to the Piazza Della Signoria. If you've been to the Vatican Museums, I would not wait in line to visit the Galleria degli Uffizi but instead head to nearby Ponte Vecchio. If you have time, you can visit the Boboli Gardens and Palazzo Pitti or Piazzale Michelangelo for a great view of Florence. On the next day, after you get back from Pisa, which is a must see, you can visit the many other sites I failed to mentioned here.

Jewelry shopping is plentiful at Ponte Vecchio and for inexpensive souvenirs, there is a flea market on Via Gallo if I remembered the street correctly.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 12:01 PM
gerry

thanks, paolo and phil for your suggestions:

to paolo: your suggestion is my initial plan (ie to visit accademia on my arrival day)but then it will be monday may 22 that means accademia and uffizi
is closed hence these will not go in my arrival day.
for souvenir, i am looking for something memorable (not the usual stuff) for the house.

Does anybody know where Via Maggio is? I read that I can find antique stores there?

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 01:12 PM
Paulo

Via Maggio is on the other side of the Arno. If you cross Ponte S. Trinita (coming from Via de' Tornabuoni), Via Maggio is straight ahead.

Oops, you're right ... it'll be a Monday and most museums (including the Cappelle Medicee) should be closed. On the other hand, if you're planning to visit the Palazzo Vecchio it should be open till 7pm on Mondays. The Duomo and most of the churches should be also be open till 6/6:30pm.

Paulo