Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence hotels-Stay in city center or slightly outside?

Aug 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

I'm currently looking at two hotels for next summer in Florence, Italy. One is the Residenza Castiglioni right in town, the other is Hotel David slightly outside and about a 20 minute walk to the downtown (apparently). Staying a week at this point. Both hotels are nicely rated although it seems the David is more quiet and provides a bit more, as per their website. The other is inside the action but with the only downside being street noise. If you're familiar with the city or these hotels, please let me know which you would pick? Thanks.
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:46 PM

I don't think Florence is a loud city at all, so I would stay (and have stayed) in the city center.
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:10 PM

If your Hotel David is the one on Viale Michelangelo, then it may not be any quieter, though there may be less 'action'. Viale Michelangelo is a busy street that leads up the hill to Piazzale Michelangelo and the hotel is located right at the intersection with a number of other busy streets and a bridge at the river.

Residenza Castiglioni is right in the center, but is on a side street that gets more pedestrian traffic than vehicular traffic.

The other amenities offered by each hotel may be the bigger deciding factors.

Aug 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM

We stayed at the Residenza Castiglioni about 4 years ago and loved it. Beautiful room (we had the suite with the frescoed ceiling), big bathroom, very nice people and decent breakfast. I liked the fact that they had two large windows, with lots of light, and a double treatment of draperies - one for light blockage and a gauzy fabric to keep out the mosquitos! (Florence has lots of them, and most hotels do not have screens). Very close to the Duomo, Laurentian Library, pretty much everything.

I do have to admit, though, that we did have some issues with noise, especially if we left the windows open. Maybe this is typical of Florence - all those tall buildings lining narrow streets have an echo effect.

I guess it depends on what is the most important to you - being a little away from the main area, or in the middle of it. If you're walkers, staying on the other side of the river wouldn't be a big deal.

We did think that the hotel was absolutely lovely, and would certainly consider staying there again. Hope that helps.
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:45 PM

I have stayed near the san Lorenzo Market and near the Duomo. I didnt find it loud.

It is a good idea to stay as close to what you want to see as possible. To walk out of your hotel room right onto the streets of Florence(or any city) is awesome.
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Hi

We got an OK deal with Hotel Anglo American (http://angloamerican.hotelinfirenze.com/) when we went there in July. It was about 10 minutes from the train station. We didn't have a problem with this and we soon used the local buses to get around if we didn't feel like walking I'll post a message here when the trip report is finished.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures