Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence Hotels - choosing between The Lungarno, the Continentale, and the Gallery Art??...

Florence Hotels - choosing between The Lungarno, the Continentale, and the Gallery Art??...

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All owned by The Ferragamo Group; and the locations look comparable, though I don't know Florence at all. Any notable differences in room size, service, location etc. They are comparably priced, though I can get a slightly better rate at The Continentale.

Thank you.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:50 PM
mjs

The Gallery Art, Lungarno Suites and the Continentale are right next door to each other near the Ponte Vecchio. The Lungarno is across the Arno. The Gallery Art rather reminds me of the Westin W hotels but I only walked through the lobby and had drinks at the bar. The Continentale was being redone when I was last in Florence 3 years ago so I cannot comment on it. The Lungarno is a very nice boutique type hotel that reminds me of a Ferragamo Ritz. I have only stayed at the Suites which was terrific. If I had a choice of your three hotels I would pick the Lungarno.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:35 AM

Another vote for The Lungarno. It's an outstanding hotel, especially if you can reserve one of the rooms with terrace overlooking the Arno River! We absolutely loved our stay there, and found the location ideal for exploring Florence. Have a great time!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:38 AM

Lungarno! Great, great, GREAT location, and first class all the way. Just remember that hotel rooms in Europe are SMALL, so don't be too surprised when you find a somewhat less than palatial room waiting for you.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the help everyone. I will probably book the Lungarno, though I am also considering staying outside the city in Fiesole due to the fact that I will be driving a new car that I may not want to take into the city.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:53 PM

If you can, try to spend one night at The Lungarno, preferably in one of their riverview rooms. It is really breathtaking! By the way, I do agree with the other poster that the rooms at the Lungarno aren't palatial, but oh my that view just makes up for any possible lack in room size!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:38 PM
mjs

I should note that the Lungarno Suites have rooms that overlook the Arno facing the Oltarno. The one bedroom suites are quite large with two nice bathrooms, small kitchen and decent room for a family of four with breakfast and paper served in room.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:37 AM

PLEASE don't think that I was criticizing the size of hotel rooms in Europe! Given that the vast majority of hotels are converted palazzos, or large buildings, there are serious space constraints! I love the Lungarno, and just want to make sure that there isn't an impression that a person will be staying in a huge room, even if the hotel is a four or five star accommodation!
Cheers!