Florence hotel top 4-- Please weigh in.

Mar 29th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Florence hotel top 4-- Please weigh in.

O.K. guys. After much research we have narrowed it down to four. Please give me an opinion on these. Pierre, Calzaivoli, Degli Orafi or the Hermitage.
Jean has been a help to us, but we must decide by tomorrow which one to book. It is the 26 of September, if that would make a difference. I actually don't know why it would. DH says that prices have dropped about 30% due to lack of american touristsso price will not be a issue between these four. That leaves it up to staff, comfy beds, room and bath size and most of all location.
I am beginning to wonder, what is exactly the historic section of Florence? DH seems to think it is the Arno, but he is a river man. Anyway, thanks ahead for the imput. Maybe we can get this settled and move on to the Chianti B&B's. Brownley
Mar 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM

All your choices are within the historic district, quite close to one another. One could begin at the Pierre, walk to the Calzaiuoli, then the Degli Orafi and Hermitage in 10-15 minutes tops. The first two are more "in" the historic section. I can't comment on any one in particular.
Mar 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

ellenem,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. That is what I am trying to discern. If we just walked out the door where we would be. On the last two it seems we walk out, see the river and then head the other way. Unless, we are going across the river for the sights there. It is very difficult to say that you must be closer due to health issues. My mind is only mid-thirties, but the body is early sixities.
Thanks again. Would someone else please weigh in on the condition of these four hotels? Brownley
Mar 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Brownley, the first two are only 44 meters apart on the same street, the second two are only 38 meters apart on the same street, and it's just a quarter mile between the two farthest points. So, as ellenem pointed out, this is not a large area.

The Pierre and the Calzaiuoli are on a street that is full of tourists all day and well into the night. If you were in a room overlooking the street, you might be disturbed by noise in the late evening. On the upside, there are loads of restaurants nearby, and the hotels are halfway between the Piazzas Repubblica and Signoria where there is a lot of activity in the evening.

I enjoy the Oltrarno area, so I like being near the river, but choosing the best location for you depends on what's on your itinerary. You can always take a cab to the farthest sights, like the Accademia, the Pitti Palace, Santa Croce, Piazzale Michelangelo. What are your priorities in Florence and how many days do you have?
Mar 29th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Jean, Thanks so much for the explicit information. We will be in Florence for about a week, which as you know I'm sure, Is just enough to tip the iceberg. I have gone to Venere and read about all the hotels that I could. This is between my computer crashing twice and traveling from the South to the North of the U.S., and helping with the grandkids. It seems like every time I try to sit and research someone need either the computer or my attention.
I can see your point about the street full of tourists. We stayed in an apartment in Rome year before last and it was on a quite side street. HMMM. We really did like it.
DH couldn't adjust to not having someone who could help with directions, taxi's etc. etc.
I have read your reviews on the Ghilberti and it sounds great, just a little farther up than we prefer. Or, at least we think we do.
Our itinerary is, we want to see as much as possible. One museum a day is my limit. I always come out saying, "Let it go, there is no test, just enjoy what you remember." Walking will have to be done in spurts and then will come the resting, drinking, and strolling some more. Eating will have to be done once a day for me and breakfast, lunch and dinner for the DH.
Our daughter went to school there one year and we didn't get over, so we have some idea of the places to go. We are not big souvenir or shopping people. We do like to wander, get lost and find our way out again.
Thank you so much and I will check out the Oltrarno area. Brownley
Mar 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM

I think you should just pick the hotel that appeals to you most on a gut level. All four seem very nice so I'm not sure there's a "wrong" choice here.

Even if you found a hotel in the absolute geographic middle of the historical area, there will be sights to see that are some distance away (i.e., Piazzale Michelangelo, Accademia). Florence is nothing like Rome, and you never get the sense you're walking, walking, walking.

A week is wonderful. If you see two things a day, you'll see more than most people do who race around the city in a couple of days and then say they didn't like it much. Just have a good map and before you go make (or have your hotel make) museum reservations (Uffizi, Accademia, Brancacci).
Mar 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM

Jean, You need reservations for the Capella Brancacci?

Bramsole,

I am a museum hound (and one a day is my limit too) and two of the most enjoyable small museums in all of Italy happen to be in Firenze: the museum of the Duomo and the Museo San Marco. (One of the least enjoyable large museums in the world, in my experience, is the Uffizi, and I also do not like the Pitti, where people are herded through.)

Put a tiny bit of money aside for a taxi now and then.
Mar 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ya'll for the latest news. I think we are going with the Hotel Degli Orafi. If anybody has anything negative to say about it speak now or forever hold your peace. I was swayed by the enclosed rooftop and larger bathrooms. I also realize I can be stuck in a small linen closet type room. We are celebrating our 40 very short years of marriage, and we would just like it to be a little special. Maybe they will upgrade us to whatever is a little more special. But with these great prices, probably not.
Jean, we will be seeing the sights across the river, but I couldn't decide how wide the bridge was and if I could make it back to the hotel in time. Museum restrooms are usually very good and I think I can depend on those for the "facilities.".. On the joys of old age! WEll, at least we are here and still moving. for a while at least. We also want to sit and people watch. I am a painter, so I can snap people for a large part of the day.
It is all good. as the kids say.
We want to see the Uffizi and the Pitti, but you know when we went to Paris last year, I didn't go to the Lourve and we were staying right across from it. We choose the smaller museums instead.
Zeppole, if I do the larger museums, I have to just hit the high spots and let the rest go. When someone begins to herd me, well, I'm out of there. I must take things in slowly and try to process carefully.
I have just one more question for now, since it was brought up by Zeppole. Can one catch a taxi anywhere on the street, or must we go to the taxi stands as in Rome?
Again my thanks, I will post a review on the Hotel, whichever I choose. All the reviews seem to be from the early 2000's and as we all know things to change. Also the breakfast room on the website for the Degli Orafi was absoutely stunning. I could look at that ceiling all day for that matter. Thanks again, and please inform me of all the mistakes I surely am making. Smiles, Brownley
Mar 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM

Brownley, the Degli Orafi looks great, especially that breakfast room ceiling and the views from the roof terrace.

re Brancacci: Reservations are recommended in high season. The last time we were in Florence (October), we were able to get in without an advance reservation. It was raining, so who knows if that had anything to do with it. There is a viewing schedule, and the size of each group admitted is limited. I think we were given 15 minutes before they turned the lights out (literally!).

re taxis: I've never tried to hail a cab in Florence, so I don't know if that's done. (Probably not.) There are stands around the city (Piazza Repubblica, Duomo, etc.), and you can walk into a hotel or restaurant and ask them to call a cab for you. Remember there are parts of the city that are pedestrian only, so don't be alarmed if it seems the cab is going a bit out of the way.

re Uffizi, Pitti: These two museums could fit into a corner of the Louvre. I enjoy the Pitti less for the art than the palace rooms. Both museums have lifts.

I also recommend the small Bargello Museum and the also small Museo delle Pietre Dure which is not far from the Accademia.
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:48 PM

I agree with Jean that the palazzo is more interesting than the art at the Pitti, but my recollection at the Pitti is that you don't get a choice about being herded. Once in, you can't turn around and go back out the other way. The Bargello felt large to me in comparison to the Duomo museum when it came to being foot sore (so that would certainly be the only one I'd do that day), and while it's true that you could fit the Uffizi into a corner of the Louvre, the Louvre is a monster which could swallow most of the world's museums whole.

Firenze is not as large as you are imagining. The Arno is not wide. The streets are better surfaced that Roman streets. But it is crowded, so be prepared to make lots of reservations. Taxis are easier to get in Firenze, in most of the major piazzas.
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM

Thanks Jean for the Brancacci info. I've only been very much off season.
Mar 31st, 2009, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Hey Jean and Zeppole,
What great information. I have written down all the museum names and will check them out soon as well as getting our reservations.I'm am leaving Pennsylvania in a few days and getting back to Alabama. We do love the museums and will certainly enjoy the smaller ones.
Ya'll have been such a help and have eased my mind.
I am surprised to not see more current hotel reviews. I guess everyone goes to Trip, Slow, Orbitz and Venere now for the newer information.
Thanks ya'll once again, Brownley
Mar 31st, 2009, 12:39 PM

Brownley, here's a website you might want to study before you go. It provides helpful info like days open, hours, etc., and for some sights you can do a virtual tour of floors and rooms. (This is not a complete list of Florence treasures, just the ones under one cultural minister; ergo, Brancacci chapels, Museo delle Pietre Dure and other outstanding sights are not included.)

http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/en...usei/musei.asp