Reload this Page >

Florence hotel: Pendini or Monna Lisa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Carol

We'll be in Florence in mid-August, my husband, myself and our girls ages 12 and 15. Both the Pendini and the Monna Lisa which are frequently mentioned on the board are available. Pendini has a family suite, 2 BR, bathroom, AC, breakfast, 370,000Lit. Monna Lisa has 2 doubles @ 380,000Lit. each with bath or shower, near each other but not next door, OR 1 room for 4 with bath/shower for 600,000Lit, doesn't say if it has AC, but they have parking for 20,000Lit (we'll have a car). The girls are well traveled, get along well and staying in a room with us is no problem. Cost is not the concern either, more interested in quality. So which would you recommend? Thanks!!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 09:25 AM
biguy290

FYI: Both hotels are air conditioned: <BR> <BR>The Pendini website is: (http://www.tiac.net/users/pendini/hotel.html) <BR> <BR>The Monna Lisa website is: www.monalisa.com <BR> <BR>So anyway, with 4 people in: <BR> <BR>(a) 2 bedrooms, each with its own bath <BR>(b) 2 bedrooms, 1 shared bath ... <BR>(3) 1 shared bedroom, 1 shared bath ... <BR> <BR>From a quality-of-life perspective, I'd opt for (a). (Have never stayed at the Monna Lisa myself, but it looks well located.) <BR> <BR>From a price perspective, I'd recommend (b). (Have stayed at the Pendini and can recommend it.)

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Carol

Thanks, BigGuy290! <BR>Carol

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:52 AM
linda dove

We stayed at the Pendini two years ago. The location is wonderful. Right near the Plaza, walking distance to everything. However, our room was small, small, small. The hotel is on the fourth floor with tiny elevator. Then we walked down a very long hallway and stairs to the third floor to our room. It was a hike. Our least favorite of all the places we stayed in Italy.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Me

We stayed at the Pendini a couple of years ago - just after a supposed "refurbishing". The room was quiet and clean, but I have to say, a little threadbare. Could have used new carpeting, bedspreads etc. Hallways a little dark, scuffs on walls - that kind of thing. Location is great, and breakfast was good - very pretty breakfast room. <BR> <BR>It's an OK place, but nothing special.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Carol

Thanks -- believe it or not, I'm now considering the Hermitage since I heard back from them. <BR>Carol

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:06 PM
jim

For a nicer hotel, try the junior suite at the Gallery Art Hotel. Two bathrooms with bed and fold out sleeper sofa. Also has a japanese style divider between the two areas for a "little" privacy. <BR>You will not be disappointed. It has just opened (last december) a new Japanese/Italian fusion restaurant. <BR>It is a block from the ponte vecchio. <BR> <BR>www.lungarnohotels.com/gallery

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 05:46 AM
Dona

Carol, <BR> <BR>I've stayed at the Monna Lisa a number of times and love it. It's in an old palazzo and the parking is a wonderful benefit if you have a car. I think I'd go with the 2 rooms - more comfortable. <BR> <BR>I haven't been to the Pendini - but I've visited the Hermitage and it looks lovely. The location is very different. Whereas the Monna Lisa is on a quiet street about a 5 minute walk from the Duomo, the Hermitage is right above the Ponte Vecchio - so it's very centrally located - and perhaps could be a bit noisy if you leave the windows open - I'm not sure... <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time. <BR> <BR>Dona

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 04:38 AM
Mira

Dear Carol,<BR>I do live in Florence, so I never stayed in a florentine hotel. But from the location viewpoint I would NEVER stay at Pendini. It's just in Piazza della Repubblica, a very crowded place during the summer nights (with shows until very late and music. Very noisy). Not the easiest place to go by car. Furthermore to park the car it's a nightmare and you need a lot of walking each time you need to drive...Mona Lisa is in a nice little street, in the center, very calm during the night. I would go for it with no second thoughts...<BR>Mira

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 07:23 AM
meg

I stayed at the Hermitage a few years ago and sent a friend there last fall. It's in the BEST location with a gorgeous flower-filled rooftop garden. I didn't find it noisy at all despite being almost on top of the Pont Vecchio. Everything is walkable from there. Good Luck!