Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence Hotel or B&B suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-hotel-or-b-and-b-suggestions-844465/)

Bmeyer Jun 11th, 2010 09:57 AM

Florence Hotel or B&B suggestions

My boyfriend and I are looking for a place to stay in Florence for July 28th - August 2nd.

A decent inclusive breakfast would be great as well as rooms that are large enough for two people to walk past each other without having to jump over the bed :] I also really would prefer places that have marble or wood floors. Comfortable beds (for European hotels), a roof terace of balcony would be nice.

I really liked the Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni which has mentioned on this site countless times. However after contacting them through email they have said all they have is the Library room which is close to the max in my budget for this leg of the trip. I am keeping this open as an option though.

I would like to keep it under 210-250 euros a night.

Usually when I book a hotel, I look at location first, in this case somewhere between the Arno and the Duomo or around the Duomo. Then I look at the rooms and then the price and then breakfast.

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Duomo?

MFNYC Jun 11th, 2010 10:13 AM

Check out Hotel Casci.

Jean Jun 11th, 2010 10:16 AM

Try Tourist House Ghiberti.

www.touristhouseghiberti.com

Bmeyer Jun 11th, 2010 10:17 AM

And lots of light!

martygnc Jun 11th, 2010 11:09 AM

We love the Residensa Proconsolo:
http://www.proconsolo.com
It is literally around the corner from the Duomo and rooms are very large with either wooden or marble floors. Breakfast is brought to the rooms each morning. The bathrooms are ensuite and large but not brand new. We love the character of the place and the people who run it.

Bmeyer Jun 11th, 2010 01:15 PM

Oh yes I do like the character of the rooms. The bathrooms, not so much. But for the price it pretty good.

Laidback Jun 11th, 2010 02:03 PM

Last fall we stayed at inpiazzadellasignoria.com We have stayed there two different times and love it. The breakfast was delicious and copious, the staff was warm and friendly, the beds and linens were very nice and the baths all redone. The floors were stone in both our rooms. There is an elevator if you need it. I think the location is better than the Antico Torre de via Tornabuoni but there is no terrace.

Bmeyer Jun 11th, 2010 03:01 PM

I sent an availability request to them!

Bmeyer Jun 11th, 2010 04:36 PM

Any others?

geyserland Jun 11th, 2010 06:53 PM

Two of us are travelling with EASYJET to Venize from Paris in Sept. EasyJet recommended Hotel STYLE in Mestre, a 12m. train ride from Venice central. Trains run very frequently. The B&B tariff is I think about EU63 per night for the pair of us. We paid for 1 night with our air reservation & then booked a further 3 by phone.----39041 590 8031. It seems to be a Spanish hotel chain.

geyserland Jun 11th, 2010 07:05 PM

Got confused. Our accomodation in Firenze is Albergo Firenze. We are there for 8 nights, Regular price EU104, less 20% if booked 21 days in advance. EU 84 B & B. Somebody's recommendation.
their email: [email protected]

Laidback Jun 14th, 2010 06:20 PM

Where did you decide to stay?

Bmeyer Jun 14th, 2010 07:03 PM

I haven't yet. I will post when we reserve one. We are trying to compromise on Venice first.

Jean Jun 14th, 2010 07:39 PM

I would budget to spend more in Venice and less in Florence. Rates are generally higher in Venice.

Lauricelli Jun 14th, 2010 08:12 PM

this is another vote for Residenza del Proconosolo. The rooms are large. The owners are amazingly helpful and nice. They booked tickets for us to the Academia ahead of time. The location is excellent too.
Have a malto bene time!!

Bmeyer Jun 14th, 2010 08:24 PM

I am not sure if I want to spend 5 nights in Florence and two night in Venice or 4 & 3...

Jean Jun 14th, 2010 08:42 PM

Two nights in Venice only gives you one full day. I'm not a huge Venice fan, but that's not very much time.

Bmeyer Jun 15th, 2010 04:25 AM

In know some people love it and some don't care. Some of my friends who travel a lot more than me believe its a good photo and then that's it.

Ninja007 Jun 15th, 2010 04:44 AM

Venice is great - but unless you want to do Murano and Burano 2 full days (maybe 3 nights) should be sufficient. We stayed in a great apartment in Venice and Hotel Casci in Florence. I would recommend Hotel Casci - largish rooms, great breakfast, wonderful service and, even better, a 5 minute walk from the Duomo... and right around the corner from the Lorenzo market (if you like leather goods that is).

ChristinaDK Jun 15th, 2010 05:14 AM

I stayed at the Hotel California (near the Duomo) - it was nice, quiet, clean and it had a rooftop terrasse. The breakfast was, well, Italian, but why shouldn't it be when you're in Italy! In spite of the quality it was cheap - perhaps the best value for money I've ever had in a hotel. Here's the link: http://california.hotelinfirenze.com...en.htm?source=.