Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence..Hotel Alloro vs. Relais Il Campanile al Duomo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-hotel-alloro-vs-relais-il-campanile-al-duomo-432537/)

clifbob Sep 12th, 2008 10:04 AM

Florence..Hotel Alloro vs. Relais Il Campanile al Duomo?

We have reservations at both hotels. Does anyone have any personal experince staying at either one. Thanks

vincenzod Sep 12th, 2008 10:44 AM

I have personal experience at Relais Il Campanile and I like it but, really, I do not know Hotel Alloro.
Have a lovely trip, ciao.

Vincenzo

clifbob Sep 12th, 2008 10:45 AM

can u tell me more about your experience at the Ralais? thanks

MelJ Sep 12th, 2008 10:54 AM

I have he Alloro booked for late October. If that's not too late, I'll post a review on my return.

BTW, they've been very responsive and friendly in their correspondence.

clifbob Sep 12th, 2008 11:00 AM

Hey Mel..I am booked at the Alorro for Oct 7 , 8 and 9

MelJ Sep 12th, 2008 11:03 AM

Ah, then YOU can report back for ME :) I'm booked in 10/31 to 11/3.

charnees Sep 12th, 2008 11:31 AM

We stayed at Alloro (Hotel/ B&B) in May and thought it was very roomy and comfortable. It was kind of fun because the rooms are tucked away on the second floor of a building. It had the biggest bathroom I have seen in Italy. The room was very nicely decorated, and it was air-conditioned. There was an elevator.

You get breakfast brought to your room on a cart at a time you designate. It's quite filling -- coffee and pastries, etc. The only drawback is that there is no one on the desk at night. But it didn't really matter. We were there two nights.

clifbob Sep 12th, 2008 12:14 PM

Hey Charness,

How was the location? Convenient? can you recommend any great restraunts..not too expensive. We will be there for 3 nights next months..I'd love some tips

charnees Sep 13th, 2008 10:56 AM

It's VERY convenient! Only three or four short blocks from the Duomo.

As for restaurants, I can recommend only one from this trip because we were there only two nights and our favorite place is no longer in business. We were so tired and jet-lagged we went for the easiest place across the street from Alloro which was called Il Cavalieri or something like that and it was not good.

Further up the street towards the Medici Chapel -- in fact right across from the Chapel entrance -- was a restaurant with outdoor seating and friendly waiters who all spoke English: the food there was quite good for a touristy place. It was called Trattoria Il Porcospino (the porcupine, don't ask me why.) It was not very expensive, either.

sheri_lp Sep 13th, 2008 06:58 PM

I also stayed at the Alloro and we were well taken care of by the owner/manager Cristian and his dad.
It has a good location as Charmess mentioned. You enter from the street and pass through a fountain courtyard to the elevator in the back and you go up to the rooms from there. Breakfast is delivered on a wheeled trays and it was very comfortable. There's a great wine shop up the street, good shopping close by and the first view of the Duomo is a wow.

sheri_lp Sep 13th, 2008 07:00 PM

Oh forgot to add they also made our advance reservations for the Ufizzi at no additional charge.