Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence- day trips and shopping (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-day-trips-and-shopping-708989/)

wpmom May 29th, 2007 05:18 PM

Florence- day trips and shopping

1.What kind of day trips by train can you recommend from Florence?

2. Shopping for a 20 year old who is on a budget? the markets? leather? fun stuff? jewelry?

camelbak May 29th, 2007 05:39 PM

I would type in "Florence Day Trips" here and you will get tons of suggestions.

Some day trips would include Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena, Lucca, even ROME if you really want to stretch it.

When is your son/daughter/neice/nephew (you don't specify) going to Italy? For how long? Will they be attending classes? If so, what days do they have off...etc..etc..

Guess I am trying to say...more info would be very helpful.

To answer your #2 question - what type of budget is the 20 year old one? What sort of per diem are you giving them/or will they have? Does the budget they have include food/accommodation/fun, etc., etc.?

The markets can be cheap, or expensive, depending on what your looking for and how much you want to/can spend. You can find 5Euro baseball hats, or 300Euro jackets.

So...a little more info would be helpful. :)

fall06 May 29th, 2007 05:41 PM

If shopping is a big interest, take a day trip to Lucca, which is also an exquisitely preserved historic town. It's easy to get to by train from Firenze.

Another day trip is Siena, easily done by train but slightly easier by bus. It's history rich and quite imposing, with fantastic religious art. Lucca is more of a lark, but with some lovely and unusual sights.

And of course there is Pisa, whose monuments are beautiful and you'll probably find some bargain shopping and elegant pastries away from the touristy areas on the Borgo Stretta, not far from the train station.

wpmom May 29th, 2007 05:47 PM

My daughter arrived in Florence two days ago and is there until end of June. She is studying- she goes to classes M-F but do not know the times. They have two free weekends to travel.
She is on $50.00/day budget(hotel paid for, breakfast included)She walks to school. Not sure if she has other school expenses. I just wanted to give her some ideas for day trips and where she can head to for reasonable shopping.
Thanks

camelbak May 29th, 2007 05:59 PM

mmm...with $50 a day (I presume Euros? - sorry does that also include lunch and dinner?)

The first time I went to Italy I had a $75Euro budget per day for lunch, dinner and misc. (i.e., gelato!). I came home with $ but I also ate a few dinners in (I was staying with my BFF). So it can be done, but she won't be able to go nutso in the markets.

Saying that, she can definitely head to the San Lorenzo market for trinkets and relatively cheap things to buy. I bought a beautiful belt for $29Euro. LOVE it and gets tons of compliments. :)

If she saves her $ for a few days then she can splurge a bit more on items to bring home. Florence is full of great clothing stores - the tempations to go nuts is almost too much to take - but the budget will keep her in line.

Day trips that would interest her would probably be Pisa (by train) and Siena (by bus). Both are really cheap to get to (Siena is $13Euro return for an adult - maybe cheaper for a student?). You can spend the entire day just wandering the streets - I love it there.

Rome would be too expensive, and not enough time to get too - she will have to save that for next time.

:)

Steve_James May 30th, 2007 12:39 AM

Hi Mom - Day-trips from Florence? So many options ...

Siena
San Gimignano
Pisa
Lucca
Bologna
Cortona
Assisi
Perugia
Orvieto
Arezzo
Chiantishire
Cinque Terre