Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence day trip to Orvieto and Pitigliano - Too Much?

Oct 27th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

If we leave Florence early in the morning (Sunday), can we drive to, and visit, properly, Orvieto, Pitigliano, and, if not pushing it too much, Civita, in the one day?

Thanks for your comments and advice.
Oct 27th, 2007, 03:40 AM

No...too much in one day in my opinion..
Oct 27th, 2007, 04:24 AM
ira

Hi N,

Orvieto will take most of one day.

Will you be returning to Florence? If so, I suggest the train.

Oct 27th, 2007, 04:46 AM

I do not agree that it will take the better part of the day to see Orvieto. I think you could spend the morning there and then drive to Civita. Or better yet, skip Civita and head for Pitigliano for the afternoon...all by car..
Oct 27th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

ek - Are you saying, then that Orvieto in the morning (assuming we are able to start our drive at approx. 8:00am) and Pitigliano in the afternoon is feasible, leaving Civita for another time?

Ira - we are driving to this area from Florence, and will be returning that night to Florence - we have booked a car through autoeurope (7 days at 5 day rate)and will be staying at the David Hotel for 3 days for free parking and easy access, and therefore do not need a train.

Thanks.
Oct 27th, 2007, 05:25 AM

Nevertoold: I would think so. But I did not visit these two towns on the same day so would like you to get another opinion. Our problem is usually that we tour town like Orvieto in the morning, as we did early this past year, and then like to have lunch, which eats (!) into the afternoon. But if you are willing to forego a long lunch and get in the car, the distance between the two towns is not great...

Our other issue is that we do not like driving at night, so depending on the time of year, our days are not too long as far as optimal driving hours. If you do not share this problem, even better.

Are you by any chance interested in Pitigliano's Jewish history?
Oct 27th, 2007, 05:41 AM

I looked up the driving time..about an hour between the two towns..sounds good to me!
Oct 27th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

ek - We always seem to find hotels/B&B's with large breakfasts included in the price (as most Italian hotels seem to have) and therefore do not normally take any time out for lunch - not counting, of course, the daily requisite afternoon gellato break. So to travel from point "a" to point "b" at 1:00 in the afternoon never causes a problem (assuming that 9:30 to 1:00 is enough time for "a" and 2:30 to 8:30 is enough time for "b").

Also, as the daylight lasts well into the evening, the drive back to Florence really should not be difficult.

And yes, the Jewish aspect is what is drawing us to consider Pitigliano.

Thanks, again.
Oct 27th, 2007, 06:37 AM
ira

HI N,

You might find this site interesting:
http://www.pitigliano-toscana.com/

Oct 27th, 2007, 07:50 AM

To me I would pick 2 of 3 and go for it. I enjoy Civita more than Pitigliano and it would less driving time as well. Start in Civita so you can have lunch in Orvieto.
Oct 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Nevertooold,

We stayed in Orvieto 3 nights and did spend one full day in Orvieto itself. There is much to see:

Duomo, inside and out, you need a special ticket for the famous frescos inside which are only open certain hours. I believe it was quite early in the morning.

Underground tour - twice a day in English.

Etruscan museum - LOTS of vases, but one of the best examples of Etruscan relics.

Etruscan tombs - below the town, archeological excacation site, good for a brief visit. One of those places where you definitely feel the presence.

Well- something like 400 steps down a huge, ancient well. We passed, too tired.

Orvieto is full of outstanding art, wood, and ceramic galleries and great restaurants. Be sure to try Orvieto Classico white.

You can easily spend an entire day and the evening stroll is delightful.

Nearby Civita di Bagnoreggio is a treat and great photo op. My friends thanked me over and over for putting in on our itinerary. Good for 2-3 hours visit.

Buon viaggio!
Oct 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM

PS - I do think your plan is too much as a day trip from Florence. Start much earlier than 9am.
Oct 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM

In Orvieto, there is an excellent gelato store just to the left of the Duomo as you are facing it.

We've never spent more than 1/2 day in Orvieto.

Here is a driving tour in the Pitigliano area, starting from San Quirico - but you change it to start from Florence :

Head south from San Quirico on the N2 (marked SS2). This is a pretty drive & you will visit some appealing medieval towns in a hidden corner of Tuscany. Just after the southern most Radicofani exit (see the map) & before the small Pte d. Rigo (marked on the Touring Club Italiano map) head southwest on a small road – it goes through Sforzesca. I think there are signs directing you to Pitigliano & Sorano. Follow this road through S. Valentino to Sorano*. The next three towns you will be visiting are in the Green Michelin guide to Tuscany under “Pitigliano”. The approach to Sorano is very pretty – get the camera ready. Explore Sorano on foot. Not much happening in town, but it’s fun to wander around – several artisan shops. Leave Sorano to the south, drive to Pitigliano*, and get the camera ready again. This is our favorite town of the three. Historic Pitigliano has been beautifully & tastefully maintained. Several lunch spots available in town. Next drive to Sovana* & explore this town (not quite as interesting as the other two). Leave Sovana going west and then take the first road going southwest. This road hits another east/west road that goes back to Pitigliano. I am taking you on this route so you can see the view of Pitigliano from the south. Get the camera ready again as you approach Pitigliano. After the view, head east to Acquapendente. Get there by going through Onano – the N2 south of Acquapendente has some really ugly commerce on it. Take the N2 back to San Quirico/Pienza.

Stu Dudley

Oct 27th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help!
Oct 27th, 2007, 01:38 PM

bookmarking
Oct 27th, 2007, 10:20 PM

bookmarking ... with thanks for Stu Dudley's driving itinerary! We will be staying in San Quirico!
Oct 28th, 2007, 07:18 AM

2010 - do you have my Italy itinerary? It has several other 'drives" starting from the San Quirico area. If not, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll send you one.

Stu Dudley