Florence day trip to coast

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florence day trip to coast

We'll honeymoon in Italy in May 2005. We are planning to spend five nights in Florence, but would like two of those days to be day trips. I've read about the Tuscan day trips -- Siena, etc., but I think we may be tired of hill towns (the first part of the honeymoon is in Umbria).

Any suggestions for day trips to the coast? Cinque Terre seems like a difficult day trip, but is there anything just south of CT that is worth seeing?

Any other ideas you have are welcome! Thanks.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 09:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gmpesko, you give no idea what your interest are so it is hard to answer your question.
However, it you are interested in Etruscan history, you can drive from Florence in about aproximatley 2 or so hours to The Archeological Park of Baratii at Populonia. This is opened every day except Monday in May. Also Piombino is close by, just south of Populonia.

This drive is southwest of Florence, beautiful scenery, you will arrive at the coast, south of the city of Livorno.

Not for everyone, but if you do want to get away from hill towns (though you will see villages on hills during the scenic drive), arrive in an area which is not full of tourist, see the Ligurian Sea, and explore the villages it could be a very lovely and relaxing day.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've never been to Italy, so we are interested in everything. The first part of the honeymoon is a cycling trip through Umbria, so we will want to relax and enjoy the scenery.

We want to take a cooking class/wine tasting in Tuscay through a local tour group and we also thought about goint to Pisa (though I have read many posts that say it's not worth it).

I'd prefer to do the day trips by train or bus and not deal with renting a car.

Livorno sounds nice by your description. Is it accessible by train?
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no reason to go to the coast unless you plan to overnite at the CT.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:16 AM
ira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi gm,

>We've never been to Italy, so we are interested in everything. <

It is time to focus.

You cannot possibly see everything you would want to see in only a week or two.

You will be biking through Tuscany - how long?

You will be in Florence for 5 nights. Have you considered using 2 of those nights for Venice?
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ira: We are taking a self-guided tour through Umbria for five days (perugia, assisi, spello, spoleto, montefalco). During the afternoon of the fifth day we take the train to Florence where we have booked a hotel for five nights.

We would like to devote two days to Florence sightseeing -- the museums, churches, Boboli Gardents, etc.

That leaves two full days. We most likely will take the cooking/wine tasting tour with Accidental Tourist as one of the day trips. The other day is up in the air -- that's what we are trying to plan.

I am saving Venice and Rome for another trip (or two). We decided to concentrate on Florence and the Tuscany region on this trip.