Salzburg to Munich

Search

Salzburg to Munich

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salzburg to Munich

My wife and I will be traveling from Grundlsee to Munich and we're trying to figure out the easiest way to get there by train. I've been look at the train system but cannot seem to dechiper the proper attack this. We'll be renting a car while in Austria, but do not want to drive to munich. I'm sure plenty of people have done this before, so I'm looking for any insight you're willing to offer.

If it's useful we'll be renting a car at SZG and returning it there, if you have a better method, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:38 AM

Grundlsee is not extra convenient as a startinmg point for your travel to Munich.

You begin with a bus and then with several changes via train / bus arrive in Salzburg.

then of course onward to Munich.

If you already have a rental auto and having rented it in Salzburg - why not use it as the conveyance from Grundlsee dropping it off in Salzburg ( some firms with offices very close to the train station) and take the convenient train to Munich.

Bayern Ticket offers a cost effective transfer on this route.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Molker,

Thanks for the advice. I had good feeling some one would respond with that news. We will in fact be renting/returning the car at SZG airport and from what I can tell the train station isn't terribly far from there. From Salzburg to Munich, is it relatively smooth sailing?

Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 04:52 PM

Yes, it is smooth sailing. Salzburg to Munich is an easy train trip, if you know the schedule and avoid the local trains which stop frequently.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM

>smooth sailing?
Depends on the date and daytime. It's perfect at night an in the early morning. Sunday afternoon is awful as are holiday weekends. There's always quite a large mount of poor drivers.

Some of the lowest priced gas is available close to the airport. If you can, plan your trip so you can use one of those stations. You'd save about 30ct per liter compared to Munich.

In 2009, the local Hofer (=Aldi) opend a gas station there, that started a price war. Today Aldi and Jet (Conoco) are still in stiff competition.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 05:03 PM

And be aware there are speedcams right at the end of the autobahn in Munich. 60kph means 60, the cameras will take your photo if you're faster than 65. ;-). The western part of the middle ring road has construction work at Luise-Kiesselbach square with rel. small lanes. Avoid it in the morning and afternoon.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Yes, the train is smooth sailing, except for the school children ;-)