Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Pavillon De La Reine in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Paris for the first time in October for 5 days. Hotel is important part of trip for me,( I know alot of you think otherwise). Interested in your thoughts before I book Pavillion De La Reine in terms of what you know in terms of the hotel and in terms of the location, the area (the Marais) and the proximity to other major sites. Any and all help will be much appreciated.Do you think this is a good choice for a first time visit to Paris?
Be Honest!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 07:10 AM

I cannot comment on whether or not it is a good location for the first time since I know nothing of your likes and dislikes.

What I CAN do is comment on the hotel and the location, having stayed in the past.

The hotel is located directly on the Place des Vosges and is in one of the buildings which make up the "surrounds" of the square.

You are about a five-minute, or less depending on speed, walk from the Bastille Metro stop which provides connections to three different Metro lines.

The rooms in the hotel are nicely furnished with marble baths. Rooms vary in size (no, not all rooms in Paris hotels are small; if you are wiling to pay you can get bigger rooms).

The breakfast room is on the lower (basement) floor..rather non-descript IMO and the breakfast was certainly adequate but not memorable (or I would have remembered!).

Staff are excellent and very helpful and absolutely have no reservations about conversing with folks in English.

I am CERTAIN a lot of people will tell you that "for your first time" you should stay elsewhere. Please don't ask me why..perhaps they think you want to be "closer" to sights/sites...but in Paris you are never more than a short walk from a Metro station.

Is the hotel "worth it?" I think it is if you want a quiet, refined place to stay. Is it "more worth it" than other hotels? IMO, not necessarily. On my upcoming trip to Paris I am staying over in the 6th.

I like the Marais a lot but I like the 6th, too...go figure.

Good luck because I KNOW what you are going through. But remember, it is YOUR TRIP and nobody else's.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Dukey,
Thanks alot for your input.
You don't seem to be excited about the hotel.
Can you tell me where you are staying in the 6th?

Is there a hotel and area that you would be excited to tell me about.

I don't like a modern hotel, and I want to be able to see most of the sites that a fist timer would want to, in the price range of approx. $350-400.
Any thoughts?
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I have always enjoyed staying in the P de la R but for this next trip I simply wanted to stay in a different neighborhood.

As I said earlier, the PdlR is a very quite and refined place in a very quiet area.

I am probably going to stay at the hotel d'Aubusson although I am still strongly considering the Madison.

In the past I have also stayed at the Victoria Palace which I also liked but for the next trip wanted to be a bit closer to the Blvd St. Germain.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Sorry for the typo..that should have read "quiet" rather than "quite."
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:30 AM

I haven't stayed at the hotel, but I have no problem with you sending me on a fact-finding mission before your trip.

As Dukey points out, it's hard to recommend an area without knowing your expectations. I love that area and don't consider it out of the way at all. Rather, I'd classify Place des Voges as "tucked away." I like the Marais and Bastille for shopping/drinking/dining. I also consider that hotel within walking distance of many sights and/or metro stops.

Wherever you choose to stay, please do report back. And enjoy Paris.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all,
I keep coming back to the Madison. I Will go back and keep reading about the hotels you mentioned because truthfully they all are on my list... The madison on the top. I have to check the areas they are in, how much they are, etc.... thanks again, I will keep you posted. We are then going on to Provence for 5 days. That does not seem to be as difficult for me. Thnaks agin. You guys are great!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM

I like St. Germain alot but I also like the Marais. No. We don't know your likes and dislikes but I think you won't go wrong in either location. For me if I had the money I would choose the Pavillon de La Reine over the Madison truly. Personally I like the traditional decor of the Paviloon de La Reine. It seems more charmingly decorated and furnished than the Madison although there are contemporary rooms available at the Pavillon de La Reine. If you stayed in the 3rd dist. where the Pavillon is located it is very central and it is not difficult to walk over to St. Germain des Pres (location of the Madison).
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much francophile!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Our favorite hotel is the Madison in St-Germain; it's right on the Blvd. St-Germain-des-Prés, but there's no street noise. Ask for a room facing the boulevard--those rooms are larger, by which I mean of a very good size for Paris. Bathrooms are Provençal tile or marble and very nice. Rooms have good storage.

The St-Germain métro station is right across the street, and it's about a 2-block walk to the Seine. You can easily walk to the Orsay and the Louvre from the hotel's location.

Book soon! October is a very busy month for Paris hotels because of all the trade and other shows.