Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence & ____?____ with a 16 month old baby in September. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-and-____-____-with-a-16-month-old-baby-in-september-978928/)

dtph May 23rd, 2013 01:27 PM

Florence & ____?____ with a 16 month old baby in September.

my husband and i have been to italy together twice. the first time we spent 5 days in rome and 4 days on the amalfi coast with a base in positano. the second trip was 2 days in venice, 3 in florence, and 3 in montalcino with a car to drive around to the different towns in the countryside. we're planning for round 3, but this time with a baby in tow - he'll be turning 16 months while we're there :)
we haven't book anything yet, but we're planning on going at the very beginning of september for 10 days (including travel time) so account for about 8 days of actually being there. i want to keep it simple and just pick 2 places to visit and see everything through our little guy's eyes this time. i'm thinking either florence & rome or florence & cinque terre or florence & _____ (your suggestion here). we've never been to cinque terre and i havent started doing any research on it yet. im hoping i can get some thoughts & opinions here. thanks!

ira May 23rd, 2013 01:39 PM

Hi dt,

I suggest fl into Venice - 4 nights, train to Florence. Fly home from FLR or PSA.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

Zee21 May 23rd, 2013 01:49 PM

I think Venice might be difficult with a pram?

dtph May 23rd, 2013 01:49 PM

Thank you ira, but we would not like to visit Venice on this trip.

amer_can May 23rd, 2013 04:26 PM

CT is really no place for a toddler and or a stroller....All ups and downs..beautiful but hilly and you would have to have your little one almost in a chock hold most of the time so he didn't sail off a cliff. Venice also not a good choice as the bridges all have steps as i remember and there are no guard rails (as if that would stop the little one)Go to Florence by all means and any of the lovely nearby Tuscan towns..Pisa maybe, Lucca maybe.. Scope them out on YouTube and see what charm intrigues most.

Jean May 23rd, 2013 04:33 PM

Maybe some time on one of the lakes?

dtph May 29th, 2013 07:12 AM

So it seems like CT is not a good idea. I'll look into Pisa and Lucca. What about Lake Como with the little guy? How would that be?

mamcalice May 29th, 2013 07:34 AM

I think the Lakes would be better than Cinque Terre for a 16 month old. The terrain is steep and rocky in places if you plan to hike. I would save CT for sometime when you toddler is more sure-footed.

Travelkip May 29th, 2013 09:26 AM

We are considering Rome & Florence with our 8 days in Italy with our two kids... They are along for the ride! :) It was suggested to us to stay in Rome (as we are flying into and out of Rome) and do some daytrips outside the city. That is our plan. Would like to see surrounding area outside of Florence as well so may rent a car. Now to find an apartment in Rome!

nytraveler May 29th, 2013 11:16 AM

Venice is fine with a light stroller - don't know anybody who uses prams - they're just way too big. You just pick up stroller with baby and carry over the bridges.

I would not do CT - which is primarily for the hiking trails cut into the side of the hills - and not really for a stroller - or 16 month old.

uhoh_busted May 29th, 2013 11:53 AM

With a little one, I think I'd want to try someplace like this: http://www.tuscany-hotels.net/near-F...-Farmhouse.htm So you could go into Florence for the day, but come back where there is room to relax and run about. Or you could start with a night or two in Florence, then pick up a car and head out to the countryside. Keep it simple and you will ALL have a good time. (I never stayed at the linked place, but it was in my bookmarks from a trip we took a couple years ago.)

OR do a week outside of Spoleto (we did two weeks in 2011 -- same owner, different place) http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-ren...9?uni_id=64070 But I do suggest someplace with a pool, as September will be hot and it could be a welcome respite in the afternoon. Driving in the area is easy, you can do what ever suits you and the peanut, and you can eat out or in as suits your day. It is a part of Italy you apparently haven't seen yet, and I think your family would get a lot out of it.

dtph May 29th, 2013 12:38 PM

Travelkip - keep me posted on what apartment you choose for Rome!

uhoh_busted - Thanks for the links to the specific places - that really helps.

Anyone else have any thoughts on Lake Como?

dtph May 29th, 2013 01:39 PM

actually, any thoughts on piedmont with the baby?

steviegene May 29th, 2013 02:19 PM

We spent a few days in Bellagio last fall. It was beautiful and would be better to visit with a baby than Venice or CT. There are lots of steps in town, but you can walk up the road instead and get around with a stroller. I would guess he would love the ferries! We visited several gardens while there, which I always think are great places to visit with young kids as they can run around! Good luck.

uhoh_busted May 29th, 2013 03:32 PM

I guess it depends on where you stay at Lake Como. We were just on the edge of Bellagio for around a week, and while it was great for adults, I don't see all the steps in town as making for a fun time with a toddler in a stroller. On the otherhand, maybe Varenna would be good.

Travelkip May 30th, 2013 04:59 AM

I know it's a crazy thought but there are toddlers that live in these areas, aren't there? How do their parents deal with steps etc? I'd say go where you want, keeping in mind that you will have to make some allowances.

dtph May 30th, 2013 06:13 AM

thanks so much for the help so far.

i keep reading wonderful things about both bellagio and varenna so it's good to see that they were recommended here.

travelkip - i have been thinking the same thing - that babies/toddlers live all over the world! so i should just pick a place to visit that isnt too far or too difficult to get to from florence and adjust to my lil guy's schedule and needs.

right now i'm thinking florence and the lakes or florence and piemonte. i started another post on piemonte as well in case i can catch some experts on that area.