Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence - Accademia tickets, where to buy online? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-accademia-tickets-where-to-buy-online-661625/)

Tere Nov 30th, 2006 10:24 AM

Florence - Accademia tickets, where to buy online?

Hi all, I am going to Florence next week and already have tickets booked online for the Uffizi.

I also want to buy tickets for the Accademia to avoid any lines but I went to the Accademia site and it seems they are not available.

My question is, where can I buy them online?

Thanks a lot in advance

Teresa

HappyTrvlr Nov 30th, 2006 10:57 AM

I bought mine at www.selectitaly.com, a company in the Chicago suburbs.

sandi_travelnut Nov 30th, 2006 11:46 AM

Both times I've gone, I ask my hotel to call and make reservations, then I arrive at my reservation time, walk in and pay for them.

judybarnes Nov 30th, 2006 11:52 AM

I emailed my Florence hotel to book the Accademia and the Uffizi, and my Venice hotel to book me the Secret Itineraries tour. They did so right away. Very convenient! We're going Dec. 14-23.

Tere Nov 30th, 2006 12:07 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies.:)

corinnedr Nov 30th, 2006 12:49 PM

We were in Rome earlier this month, and because it wasn't the tourist season, decided to take our chances and just wing it with any museum choices. Except for the Vatican - which closes at 1:45 p.m. in winter, we walked straight in to everything, including the Accademia.

Girlspytravel Nov 30th, 2006 03:06 PM

Tere-trust me, even in high tourist season, if you go to the Accademia around 5:00pm (it closes around 6:50pm I believe) you will have NO problem getting in-and most likely will have the whole place to yourself, particularly next week!

ira Dec 1st, 2006 08:28 AM

Hi T,

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Have a nice visit.

((I))

Tere Dec 1st, 2006 08:59 AM

Ira, I followed your sugestion and booked the tickets. Thank you very much it, it is cheaper .
Again thanks to all for your help.

Teresa

Ann1 Dec 1st, 2006 09:19 AM

How is calling Italy even with the cheap rates cheaper than e-mailing the hotel and having them make the reservation? We do it that way. A couple of clicks, a note and it's done. Hotels are great that way. They have even gotten us in when other people were being told the reservations are full.

sandi_travelnut Dec 1st, 2006 09:50 AM

The last time I went, in December, the line for those that did not have a reservation was several blocks long. I would not chance it, pay the 3 extra euro for the reservation.

judybarnes Dec 1st, 2006 06:45 PM

Thanks Ann1 and Sandi; I'm glad I emailed the hotels and booked for the Secret Itineraries tour, the Accademia, and Uffizi. No bother at all, and I'm prepared. Rome is at the end of our trip, but I'm thinking I should go ahead and ask the hotel to book the Vatican and Borghese Gallery from here, or at least the Vatican.

ira Dec 2nd, 2006 05:08 AM

>A couple of clicks, a note and it's done.

Unless, the clerk forgets. :)

((I))

Girlspytravel Dec 2nd, 2006 06:05 AM

Sandi-are you talking about the Uffizi, or the Accademia, re "line was several blocks long?" I would possibly believe that the Uffizi would have such a line on the weekend in December, but not the Accademia. And certainly not in December. But like I said, I've been to the Accademia in May in late afternoon, and there was virtually no one there.

sandi_travelnut Dec 2nd, 2006 08:02 AM

Hate to disappoint you Girlspytravel, but it was indeed the Accademia. It was Dec. 28, 2004 and when we exited the museum the line was several blocks long.

ekscrunchy Dec 2nd, 2006 08:38 AM

I certainly saw lines at the Accademia in January; we arrived at the opening time, without reservations, and there were very few visitors inside with us. When we left about two hours later, there was a quite a line.

I would recommend booking through one's hotel.

judybarnes Dec 2nd, 2006 05:55 PM

I was told that the week after Christmas is a big holiday week for Italians, so it makes sense that Venice would be very busy then.

Ann1 Dec 3rd, 2006 08:22 AM

Ira: I contact the hotel clerks ahead and have never had a problem. They send me the information immediately and I have it in my travel papers. They don't need to remember after they've done the initial confirmations and they have always been very prompt. We travel to Europe a couple of times a year and to Italy every year to visit our family. The clerks are more than happy to do it.

UNCBB113 Jan 23rd, 2007 09:10 PM

Can anybody shed some light on what this "Secret Itineraries Tour" in Florence is? Being as ignorant as I am, I have never heard of this, but the name sure is intriguing... can anyone help me out with a website link or a summary? Thanks.

ira Jan 24th, 2007 05:02 AM

Hi UN,

The Secret Itineraries Tour takes you into the administrative areas of the palace. You see the prison, the roof, a few other parts that were closed to the public in the old days.

It's not without interest.

You get to tour the rest of the palace for the same ticket.

((I))