Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-989350/)

bumkin2bfit Aug 21st, 2013 05:31 PM

Florence

I am taking my best friend's wife with me on a trip starting in Paris. We are taking the night train to Florence and will be there for 4 complete days plus. I am planning on taking bus to Sienna, train to Lucca and after that wasn't sure. Any recommendations for a day trip to somewhere closer than Venice (2.5 hrs train ride)? She is not really into art but is very open to about anything.

Jean Aug 21st, 2013 06:03 PM

Wow, that's certainly an intriguing opening sentence...

First of all, what time of year is this trip? Are you flying out of Florence or will you journey on to another destination?

If you're spending 4 days in Florence and have already planned 2 day trips out of the city, I'd think about spending the other two days in Florence. But if you don't think your sightseeing list for the city will fill two days, you can easily bus to Fiesole just outside Florence, train to Bologna, Arezzo or Montecatini Terme, or splurge on a driver to take you farther into Tuscany to, say, Montepulciano or Pienza, etc., with a stop at one of the abbeys (Abbazia di Sant'Antimo, Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore).

bumkin2bfit Aug 21st, 2013 06:08 PM

Sorry forget I needed to add info. We will be there from early Monday until am on Friday. I planned SIenna and Lucca but have been there before as well as Florence. Since she isnt much into art, museums I was just thinking of some options from Florence. We don't have to do the prior two. Venice is just too long a day for me for a day trip. And I like the above suggestions esp the splurge for a driver into Montelpulciano. Did a Tuscan wine tour last time and it was really fun. I will check it out. We are flying into Paris for a week, then night train sleeper to Florence and 5 days in Florence late August/early September.

Jean Aug 21st, 2013 07:44 PM

And then you fly home from Florence or Pisa? I only ask in case there was a suggestion of something to see/do on your way to wherever (Rome or Milan?).

RonZ Aug 21st, 2013 08:24 PM

Have you made your Thello reservations? I heard there might be a problem in September.

You could take the night train to Venice, stay overnight and then on to Florence.

Where are you flying home from?

Maltesec Aug 22nd, 2013 12:55 AM

I'm sorry if I ask, I would because I'm very fond of this forum and I love to get in touch with people with such a wide view of the world but ... Your best friend is not jealous? Wow

ira Aug 22nd, 2013 05:20 AM

>Wow, that's certainly an intriguing opening sentence...

The closing sentence wasn't bad either.

vincenzo32951 Aug 22nd, 2013 06:37 AM

And so, apparently, is her husband.

kybourbon Aug 22nd, 2013 06:57 AM

Everyone is assuming the OP is male. Women can have a man as a best friend so the OP could be a woman.

bumkin2bfit Aug 23rd, 2013 04:07 PM

I am female. My best friend is male and I have been friends with him for 20 yrs. He, my husband , his wife and myself are all friends. Its the two ladies going together. I have tickets for sleeper 2 berths already and going directly to Firenze from Paris. I have been there as well as Sienna and Luca and Pisa. She is open to anything. I hope I answered all the questions. The replies were fun .