Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Flora vs. Ala: May The Best Hotel Win (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/flora-vs-ala-may-the-best-hotel-win-309911/)

maitaitom Apr 23rd, 2003 08:53 AM

Flora vs. Ala: May The Best Hotel Win

I have reservations at either Hotel Flora or Hotel Ala in Venice. I know there has been much written on each on this board. If you could give me the reason you would stay at one or another, this will determine my choice. I know it's a close battle, so make your arguments persuasive. But remember, no wagering please.

cruelbee Apr 23rd, 2003 10:44 AM

I like the Ala:<BR>*great breakfast buffet with the best hot chocolate in the world.<BR>*great location near St. Marks<BR>on a nice little square<BR>*windows face a little canal where gondoliers pass by <BR>*helpful staff (very nice pleasant maids and even front desk staff!)<BR>*upgraded rooms are large<BR>*near to a vaparetto stop <BR>*easy to roll luggage from v. stop right to the front door

maitaitom Apr 23rd, 2003 11:00 AM

Cruelbee. You have made some persuasive points. The judges here at maitai central have made the Ala the current favorite to win. But there is still time for you Flora people to chime in.

mamc Apr 23rd, 2003 11:47 AM

I, too, recommend the Ala for all of the same reasons as Cruelbee. If you can get a room facing the little canal, it will be exactly the way you have always pictured Venice.

sgbslo Apr 23rd, 2003 12:12 PM

Here's a vote for the Flora. It is one of the most charming 3-star hotels I've ever stayed in. We had a garden view room and it was delightful. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. The location is excellent. They have a tiny little bar where you can get a drink in the evening or if it's nice you can sit in the courtyard.
The only thing lacking is a canal view but the charm totally makes up for that.

maitaitom Apr 23rd, 2003 12:33 PM

Oh the humanity. Just when it looked like an easy Ala victory, the Flora makes a comeback. My business partner can't figure out why I am accomplishing nothing at work today (well that's virtually every day, I guess). I told him it's nip and tuck as to which hotel my wife and I will stay at in Venice. If I was a good boss, I'd fire me. Keep up the good work. We're coming down the stretch, and there are only a few hours left until I have to make my final decision. Right now, the Ala is ahead by a nose.

Lesli Apr 23rd, 2003 12:50 PM

Tom -

&quot;Down to the wire&quot; means how far in advance of your arrival date? I understand your wanting to get your first choice of hotel, but your second choice has probably been turning others who really wanted to stay there away for weeks (or months) now.

They will no doubt still be able to book the room at the last minute, but if not, that lovely hotel loses money. Which might cause them to raise their rates. I'm sorry, but I guess I have a bit of a problem with double-booking.

maitaitom Apr 23rd, 2003 12:59 PM

&quot;I'm sorry, but I guess I have a bit of a problem with double-booking.&quot;

I think both hotels will be &quot;ok&quot;. We are going in September, but since alot of hotels are booked, I wanted to get my Venice choice in today. I have two days (from yesterday) to make the decision. And since I have not paid for either, I'm not really double booked. All I asked the hotel was if they had space for my nights (I did not reserve). I will sleep comfortably that I have not caused them any pain.

Lesli Apr 23rd, 2003 01:08 PM

My apologies, Tom.

When you said &quot;reservations&quot;, I understood that to mean that you had solid bookings with both hotels, not just requests for availability. (Some people do book at multiple hotels, holding rooms with credit cards, and then cancel at the last possible moment - say 24 or 48 hours before the reservation date. THAT I have a problem with.)

Agree that for September, you're allowing plenty of time. Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide!

elaine Apr 23rd, 2003 01:19 PM

Comments on the Flora, which I loved:
rooms vary in size, some are quite small, others somewhat larger

Pretty, intimate courtyard where breakfast is served in fine weather,
nice for lounging if you're having a drink from the bar
If your room faces the courtyard, you may hear some clinking of dishes early in the morning

Perfect location: 5 minutes from the Piazza, yet on a quiet little alley of its own

Continental breakfast is pretty basic, rolls and coffee or tea if I recall correctly

maitaitom Apr 23rd, 2003 01:29 PM

&quot;Some people do book at multiple hotels, holding rooms with credit cards&quot;

Lesli, I agree that is definitely rude. My initial post did says reservations, so you were on the mark to take me to task had I done that. I believe people who think about double booking should heed your advice. We always make our picks early and live with them. We can always go back.

nocinonut Apr 23rd, 2003 01:34 PM

OK, maitai tom, if you want to be really romantic, and you are staying at the Ala, they have a private dock for gondolas. You can arrange a ride and then have your gondola drop you off at the hotel and you enter through your own door facing the little canal.
We watched some tourists do this with alot of flowers, so probably some kind of occasion.

maitaitom Apr 23rd, 2003 01:47 PM

&quot;OK, maitai tom, if you want to be really romantic, and you are staying at the Ala, they have a private dock for gondolas.&quot;

Hmm. This is could put the Ala over the top. My wife will be overcome by love knowing her husband of nine years is actually the most romantic and wonderful guy on earth. Ok, that's not going to happen, but we'll fun anyway.

fluffy Apr 23rd, 2003 04:19 PM

Maitaitom-
I will be staying at the Ala, in mid. Sept.I will be there plnning my wedding in Venice, next year.
I choose the Ala for several reasons: The location seems perfect &amp; the vaparetto stop is really convient.
I was given a deluxe room w/canal view.
I have read nothing but positive comments about the Ala.
The restaurant da Raffle is close by; I am considering having my rehersal dinner there, and the hotel has comped.lunch there for my, mother and I.
All guests get a 10% discount at the restaurant.
I do not think you can go wrong.
Fluffy
p.s. I will be posting a trip report in Sept.

Jean Apr 23rd, 2003 04:43 PM

Don't know the Ala, but stayed at the Flora and hated it. We had one of the famous &quot;small&quot; rooms. The bathroom was the size of the inside of a VW and included (count the fixtures!) toilet, bidet, shower, salad-bowl-size sink and a 3&quot; x 10&quot; glass shelf. Floor drain did not drain, so shower water flooded into bedroom. The snoring of the man in the next room kept me awake. All of this for a room rate that was $220 (Oct. 1999).

We were told Venice was expensive, so we were averse to spending any time looking for another hotel. Just gutted it out.

lweber Apr 23rd, 2003 05:14 PM

Florala- a small town is S Alabama with a great Holiday Inn.

artlover Apr 23rd, 2003 08:24 PM

We stayed at the Flora and when we were in the large rooms, it was great, but one night we had to switch to a small room, which was not so great. The location was good, but not on a canal, and the atmosphere was lovely--a small garden and very charming ambiance. Also, the staff were very nice and helpful.

But I know nothing about Ala and from what you're saying, if they're both the same price, and other people who have stayed there recommend it, I might opt to try it next time in Venice.

maitaitom Apr 24th, 2003 04:26 AM

Thank you all for your help. The winner is...the Hotel Ala. As a matter of fact, it became a big winner because another couple we know (and still like even after traveling to Europe with them before for a few weeks) has decided they would meet us in Venice, so they have also booked a room at the Ala. The September 2003 Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy trip is shaping up well.

mdc4sc Apr 24th, 2003 05:20 AM

We are staying at the Ala in 4 weekes! Never been to Venice before. So we take the vaparetto from the train station? What is the name of the stop near the Ala?? Thanks so much for the info!

Natalia Apr 24th, 2003 10:10 AM

Here is a good website:

http://www.actv.it/eng/storia.htm

It is the Giglio vap. stop. The Santa Maria de Giglio church is on the same square.