Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Flip Flops in France and Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/flip-flops-in-france-and-italy-531556/)

spankgo May 24th, 2005 08:50 PM

Flip Flops in France and Italy

Hello all, im makeing my way to France and Italy for the first time and am wondering if flip flops are looked down on in restaurants, and/or cathedrals, and/or museums, and/or any other place?

starrsville May 24th, 2005 09:09 PM

Interesting first post, spank. I wouldn't want to wear them in Paris least I step on some dog poop and flip and flop it all over my legs!

MalTru May 24th, 2005 09:40 PM

My guess is that in museums and cathedrals, they are probably not appropriate. In nicer restaurants as well. If it's a more casual restaurant, I say go for it.

I loves me my flip flops!

Tulips May 24th, 2005 11:18 PM

There are flip flops and flip flops. If you mean the plastic ones you wear on the beach, then no; not appropriate restaurant wear. If you are talking about jewelled flip flops from Jimmy Choo; sure, why not.

KeyWest May 24th, 2005 11:27 PM

I now live in Beynac, used to be from Key West. I wear my flips all over and nobody thinks any less of me, other than wondering why my feet don't get cold as I walk the streets.
Go for it.

Kate May 25th, 2005 12:14 AM

You can wear flip flops wherever you want to. In the summer I wear little else, no matter if it's a church or restaurant I'm going to (I'm at work, and wearing flip flops now!). As Tulips says, there's flip flops and flip flops. A nice leather pair would be perfect for the evenings.

Kate
London

Travelnut May 25th, 2005 03:58 AM

I thought "flip flops" were ALWAYS the cheapie plastic beach thongs-on-the-feet, while "leather" or "jeweled" styles would be SANDALS. No?...

Kate May 25th, 2005 03:59 AM

I guess it depends on your definition.

I regard anything with a flat sole and single thong betwen your toes as flip flops.

bob_brown May 25th, 2005 04:18 AM

They are great on a rocky alpine train.
Light, cool, quick drying, and they help with agility. If you learn the technique, you and dig the toes when crossing snowbanks and keep your footing.

Kate May 25th, 2005 04:22 AM

I had no idea that taking a train through the Alps took so much agility!

starrsville May 25th, 2005 04:48 AM

Oh, Bob! I would love to see you in your flip-flops doing the mountain goat thing! Are they jeweled?

nytraveler May 25th, 2005 04:54 AM

I agree - to me flip flops are the platic things that cost $2.99 and you wear coming out of the shower or at the beach. The leather ones, or high-heeled ones - with decorations etc are sandals (it doesn;t matter if the straps go between your toes or not).

Would not reco most sandals for daily wear in europe - cobblestones are too uneven/footing is difficult - and your feet get absolutely filthy walking around a city. Wearing sandals for going out to dinner - obviuosly OK as long as they're pretty ones.

Colin May 25th, 2005 05:01 AM

What do you acll a Frenchman in sandals ?

Phillipe Phelope !!

MyriamC May 25th, 2005 05:08 AM

<Would not reco most sandals for daily wear in europe - cobblestones are too uneven/footing is difficult >
"Practice makes perfect", as we say! I have no problem walking on cobblestones with sandals. That would be such a pity if I had to wear closed shoes in the summer, just because of the cobblestones.

Kate May 25th, 2005 05:14 AM

Myriam I'm with you.

What's a dirty sole between friends if it means you can give your toes a good airing. If I can wear them to work in London, I'll wear them anywhere.

suze May 25th, 2005 06:27 AM

If you can walk 10 miles on pavement at home in your flip flops, then you should be fine in Europe with them.

I like flip flops fine for hanging out, but when I'm really touring around on foot (you will walk more than you ever imagined!) I like something with a little more cushion, sole, strap for long distances. No need for "closed shoes" as Myriam mentioned, just a bit sturdier sandals.

L84SKY May 25th, 2005 08:02 AM

How much walking do you do at home? Like someone said if you can walk many miles in them not just think you can but can and have then they might be okay. You should read the countless threads on this forum about what not to wear. Pay attention to the ones about sturdy footwear. A good pair of shoes can save your vacation. If in doubt leave the flip flops at home.

Giovanna May 25th, 2005 08:24 AM

<wondering if flip flops are looked down on>

Of course, they are, they're on your feet! Sorry couldn't resist.

I hate my feet totally closed in by shoes and only resort to that in cold, inclement weather. Almost all my shoes are slip-ons, and I have tons of sandals. I think I would refer to the type of shoe that fits between your big and second toe as thong sandals, especially if they are bejeweled (very popular at the moment), made of other than rubber/plastic and in general a cut above what I think of as flip-flops.

I always take several pairs of these to Europe with me on our spring/fall trips and am very comfortable in them. Obviously I didn't wear them in London in December 2003.

bob_brown May 25th, 2005 11:07 AM

In response to Starrsville. I don't have any fancy flipflops. On an alpine trail, I am mundanely clad in Vibram soled boots.

I did once take a glacier hike with a flipflopper whose footgear was made of rubber. He was clad in a karate suit, shaved legs and all and regaled those who could not escape with stories of proper attire for Greenland - flipflops.

As we walked up to the glacier, the trail went over dirt, rocks, mud, snow, and finally ice. The steepness increased, the conditiions worsened, and the sun hid behind the clouds. Our flipflpopper's bravado began fade.

By the time we were ready to descend, his flippers had been cut to ribbons.
The snow over the ice was deep and his feet were wet, the wind was blowing about 30 mpg, and the sun was behind the clouds. By the time he reached the end of the trail, his feet were bleeding from the effect of the rocks, and he was limping badly.

I suggest that mountain hikers wear something more study than flipflops.