Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flights to Portugal booked! Now, how do we get to Morocco from Porto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is attending a conference in Porto in May and I just managed to use airmiles to get us flights from Detroit through Frankfurt, flying into Lisbon and out of Porto. We'll have the weekend in Lisbon, then travel to Porto for the conference, Tuesday to Saturday, and leaving from Porto the following Wednesday. I thought maybe we'd fly to Madrid for a couple days after the conference. We've never been to Portugal but visited Madrid once years ago and have visited Barcelona a few times recently.

I've always wanted to visit Morocco and now I'm wondering if we added some extra days after the conference, could we get a cheap flight to Morocco for a couple of days. Would we have to go through Madrid anyway? I know we could do that with Ryanair, but are there any direct flights out of Porto or Lisbon to anywhere in Morocco? Or could we take a train to Seville or Granada and go from there?

This is all rather sudden and I've only just started researching and I admit I don't know much about Portugal, Morocco or southern Spain, but this is our chance to learn, and I'm hoping that the experts on Fodors will have good advice for us. Right now our trip is booked for just 12 days, but I think if we act fast we could extend it to 15 or 16 days. Is it worth paying the penalty ($90 each) to add Morocco to our itinerary?

Please give me your advice without too much scolding for bad planning (I know, I should have done more research before booking the tickets etc etc). I will also have lots of questions about hotels in Lisbon and Porto and wherever else we end up. And where to go for fado in Lisbon...
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:24 AM

Porugal deserves 2 weeks--why travel elsewhere? Look at Pousadas in Viano do Castelo, Marvao, and Evora.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM

If staying in Portugal, you might be interested in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34875899
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Don't go to Morocco for just a couple of days. I can't give you details on the cost of flights from Portugal, but I've flown to Morocco from Europe a few times and it was about the same cost as a flight to Europe from the USA.

Morocco needs a very bare minimum of a week or two. Fabulous country. Not someplace you just want to "touch down."
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

I know you're probably right, we should just stay in Portugal, but I really want to just see Marrakesh. I know it's not enough, and we should plan another trip, but as we get older, I've started to think - life is short, who knows if we'll ever get back there. I've done some more checking and we can go to Madrid from Porto by ryanair for 40euros and from Madrid to Marrakesh on easyjet for about 50 euros per person if we book soon. I'm tempted to go for 4 days, just to get a taste of the city. Anyone done a short trip like that?

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM

If you're just going to stay in Marrakesh, yes, four days is enough. I think we were there eight days (a great trip that also included Lisbon and south, as well as Sevilla and surrounding area) -- but in our eight days we were in Tangier (skip it), Rabat, Fez, Marrakesh and Casablanca.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Well, OK, if it's 4 days in Marrakesh, with maybe a scoot down to Agadir and Essouira for a day. You'll need 3 to find your way around the souk!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Forgot to add, if you're looking for accommodation, I can recommend La Maison Arabe (which also has a cooking school). My Marrakesh report is up at Slow Travel for more details.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link to your trip report, Michael. I started reading it but will save it to read at leisure later, as it looks like there'll be lots of good info there.

sf7307, do you have a trip report or any tips on great things to do in Marrakesh? Did you drive from Lisbon to Seville and fly from there?

St. Cirq, thanks for the hotel recommendation. Do you have a link to your Slow Travel report, by any chance?
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Yup: http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=298
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Wow, StCirq, I just read the first 2 pages of what looks like a delightful report of your eventful 2001 trip. Just realized it's 15 pages - definitely looking forward to savouring that when I have more time. Must get back to work for the moment.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Well, I do tend to run on a bit..........
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM

St Cirq:

I even lengthened my self-imposed p.m. writing break ..once I see "Morocco" mentioned I go for my "fix Marocaine"...thanks for the memories. You had yourselves quite a visit!

I do hope the OP saves Maroc for another time...difficult to savor Maroc in three days... baladeuse...save it for the future.

St. Cirq, your mention of "bastilla" comes at an appropriate time...we tried a new Moroccan resto last night (my big, very big birthday)..and the bastilla was superb..probably the best we've eaten domestically....small,homey place (none of the pile of cushions, belly dancing stuff...just great personalized service by the Moroccan (just been here here in US 6 years)owner, Simon. We had the bastilla (big enough to serve 4!), a spicy tomato, eggplant appetizer with pita...and a couscous royale...superb in every way...since it's so close to our home, you can bet we'll be there again...soon.

For Angelenos..it's simply "Simon's" on Sepulveda, two blocks south of Ventura Boulevard in Sherman Oaks....best Moroccan "fix" in town!

...baladeuse...forgve the hijacking...but put off Maroc for another time...but DO GO! ...(you can spend the extra time in intriguing Portugal as BobtheNavigator wisely suggests).

Meantime, here are some pre-digital scanned pix for you...."slide show" is best viewing...for individual photo enlargement you can click on magnifying glass icon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Morroco#

stu t.

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

StCirq and Stu, you keep telling me not to go to Morocco non this trip, but then when I read what you have say about it, I want to go even more! It's a tough decision.

I may let fate decide - if I'm able to delay our return flights and get the cheap flights to Marrakech, we'll have to go for it.

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
For Porto, I recommend Hotel Infante de Sagres.Large rooms, wonderful staff, and excellent dining room.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM

baladeuse:

Whatever you finally decide, have a great experience. If the airfare doesn't come through, perhaps re-think Portugal...we love it.

Maybe this will whet your appetite...and you'll go to Morocco another time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Portugal2008#
(set on "slide show"..)

By the way, your statement:

<i> I know it's not enough, and we should plan another trip, but as we get older, I've started to think - life is short, who knows if we'll ever get back there.</i>

Too negative, baladeuse ...one must think that they'll travel forever. Yes, you must!

My motto is &quot;travel 'til you unravel&quot;...ain't a bad one to adopt. I just turned 80 this week...and I'm planning our next one..what the hell..why not! None of us knows what's in store...so get out the maps and PLAN.

Whatever you decide, go in good health, happiness and love!

stu t.

Stu T.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Stu, happy birthday (mine's today!). So, since you put &quot;bastilla&quot; in quotes, and since this was Los Angeles (not Marrakesh), I have to ask -- was it chicken (because it sure ain't chicken in Marrakesh LOL)
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM

...and a very happy one for you, sf ! (Mine was Tuesday)...and the bastilla definitely had chicken well ground with the obligatory whole hard egg..in Morocco, we had pigeon occasionally, but also chicken. I do't think any of the four or five Maroc places here in L.A. use anythng but chicken.

Interesting, our birthdays are two days apart (and probably several years)..my initials are sft...yours sf...(my &quot;f&quot; is for Farrell)..the reasoning behind that middle name is somewhat bizarre.

Are you in San Fran?

Many more great years of traveling for you and yours, Mr. Lincoln. Amen!

Stu T
[email protected]
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM

I've had bastilla all over Morocco on three separate trips and it was invariably chicken, only a few times pigeon, including in Marrakesh. Maybe for a purist it's pigeon, but it's really not that common anymore.

I suspect Stu put &quot;bastilla&quot; in quotes because it's a transliteration and could be spelled a few different ways with the Roman alphabet.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM

St. Cirq, you may be right that chicken is common nowadays -- it's been years since I was in Morocco.

Stu, yes, I'm in San Francisco, hence the sf.

As for Mr. Lincoln, this will give you an idea of my age -- I never went to school on my birthday, which was a school holiday, before they &quot;invented&quot; President's Day! (I'm 58). And did you know that Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln (or, as my college Hebrew teacher pronounced his name, Avraham Lincolin) were born on the very same day -- February 12, 1809.

baladeuse, sorry for taking your thread off-track.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -