Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

flights to France/Europe...do airlines release tickets in bunches? help! ;)

Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm traveling from Las Vegas to Toulouse France (or Carcassonne, at best) from April 18th (could leave anytime from 16th-20th) until June 28th. I am having the hardest time finding an affordable flight. I've tried flying in through London, Paris, Madrid, Brussels, and many others European cities, but flights are still around $1000 at the cheapest, by the time I actually get to Toulouse. Several weeks ago, I spotted a flight online from Las Vegas to Toulouse with 2 stops, and the total came to $850. I'm looking to spend around that amount. I've traveled a good deal in the past, and I've never spent more than $800 to fly to Europe, even when flying non-stop.

I am also willing, if absolutely necessary, to fly out from LaGuardia, O'Hare, Atlanta, Detroit, or Boston (because a friend will give me unused domestic miles. However, I've also been investigating flights from these cities, and I still can't make it add up my $850 price range.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, they would be much appreciated. Does anyone know if the flights to Europe will drop at all over the next few weeks, before they go up again? Perhaps there will be a special at the start of the month? Someone told me that airlines release tickets in batches. Is that true? Or should I snatch whatever I see right now?

Thank you so very much!

J
Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM

$1000 doesn't seem that bad to me. I'd guess your earlier/cheaper flights were for 30 days or less. Sales are seldom for long duration itineraries. Usually there are limitations like "Saturday night stay; return flight w/i 29 days; [etc.]"

Plus fuel charges are very high and load factors are up again. $1000 for R-T April/June sounds like a deal.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:32 AM

I can't add much to Janis' comments.

You can find cheap train tickets, Paris-Toulouse, but I don't think you will save a significant amount and you will add 5+ hours to your journey.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 02:35 AM

if you go to itasoftwear.com and choose the month-long view you'll see the prices for all the major carriers..and those prices ARE what they ARE
Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:50 AM

Are you sure you're looking at this the right way?
The difference between that 850 flight and the thousand dollar one is only 150 bucks! And $150 to avoid 2 stopovers and potential missed connections seems worth the extra money. Not to mention how much less time you'll spend in transit.

I know it's easy for me to spend your money but I don't think quibbling over 150 dollars is worth while.... just my 2 cents.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:19 AM

That doesn't seem a bad fare to me, particularly as close to the date as you have left for yourself.
There are myriad articles in the travel news that there will be few to no good fares on airlines in the forseeable future.
See a fare--jump on it.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 06:41 AM

Past pricing is no guarantee of future results.

The airlines don't set prices on a schedule. They set prices to maximize the profit based on past history and the current trend. If they feel they can maximize the profit at current price level, they have no incentive to lower the price.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:28 AM

If you've never spent more than $800 to fly nonstop to Europe from Las Vegas it must have been a long time ago or not peak fare season, and fares aren't going to stay the same over time. I think $850 from LV to Toulouse is pretty good myself. April-May is usually cheaper than June, but I think you are expecting too much for 2011. I don't see how you could get it cheaper by adding on domestic flights.