Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   flights to Dubrovnik (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/flights-to-dubrovnik-570520/)

klio Nov 12th, 2005 04:48 PM

flights to Dubrovnik

While searching for flights to Dubrovnik, I found very high prices? Anyone fly into a nearby city and then take a train or other means of transport? Did it save some money?

minceta Nov 12th, 2005 06:08 PM

Hi,
I'm an expat here in Dubrovnik so maybe I can help.

First of all, no need to look for trains because there is no train service to Dubrovnik.

I don't know what time of year you are coming here but there are many more options during the April-October period.

Here are a few:
1) Croatian Airlines is a monopoly here and is very expensive for any flight involving another country. But the Zagreb-Dubrovnik fares can be very cheap (as low as 60€ round-trip) if you book ahead 2-3 weeks or more. So if you can get to Zagreb by another carrier, then you can get a cheap Cro Air flight to Dubrovnik.

Other (more creative, less convenient) options in no particular order:
2) From London, you could get a cheap Ryanair flight to Bari, Italy and then you could take the ferry over to Dubrovnik. The ferry goes 3-4x per week in summer but only 1x per week other times.
3) Same concept from London, you can fly to Ancona, Italy on Ryanair and take a ferry to Split. From Split, you can bus or ferry to Dubrovnik (and enjoy the islands in between). This is quite a long journey though.
4) Germanwings flies Apr-Oct to Dubrovnik from Cologne.
5) Germanwings flies year round (1-2x per week) to Split from Cologne.
6) SkyEurope flies Apr-Oct to Dubrovnik from Bratislava (close to Vienna) and Budapest.
7) Hapag-Lloyd Express will start flying to Dubrovnik next April from Hannover and Stuttgart Germany.
8) British Airlines has a London-Dubrovnik flight that is sometimes a pretty good price.
9) From Rome, you can take a train to Bari and do the ferry as well.

These is a pretty comprehensive list of the current options for getting here that don't cost an arm and a leg.

It's not too easy to get here for cheap at the moment but that is not such a bad thing in some ways.

Good luck.

JulieVikmanis Nov 13th, 2005 06:01 AM

EuropebyAir.com is affliated with Air Croatia and offers flights for $99 one way plus airport taxes which you pay at the airport. They have flights from Rome to Dubrovnik at that rate a couple of times a week--I think Tues. and Sat. Probably fly there from some other airports too. check out the site.

Byrd Nov 13th, 2005 06:30 AM

Thanks for this good information.

minceta Nov 13th, 2005 06:31 AM

The "taxes" with Europebyair.com are not as minor as one would think. My Zagreb-London flight on this system was $99 but taxes were $75(!), so $174 is not so great for a one-way flight.

Also, you really don't know this amount until it is time to pay so it's quite inconvenient. I don't recommend this approach. Maybe others have had a better experience.

nibblette Nov 13th, 2005 07:02 AM

British Air now flies into Dubrovnik out of London Gatwick. The fares can be decent if you plan in advance ($260 including all fees/taxes). You can usually find a cheap fare to London and then fly on BA from there.

wantagig Nov 13th, 2005 09:19 PM

Good question and great answers. Thanks!