Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flights into terminal 1 and 2A at CDG, meeting place

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read some threads about meeting places at CDG, and I wanted to confirm that this plan made sense. If I arrive into terminal 2A (American Airlines) about an hour and half before someone else's flight gets into terminal 1 (Scandinavian Airlines), it should be fine for me to clear customs, then change terminals, and wait for him by the security area where he would exit in terminal 1, correct? Is there a particular restaurant or place within terminal 1 just outside of security that would be easy to find, so that we could have our backup meeting place be there? The terminal 2 RER sounded like a good place for some people, but I would prefer to have the backup meeting spot within terminal 1.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is Paris your final destination? If so, I wouldn't wait around CDG for 90 mins or 2 hours. I'd rather poke a stick in my eye than spend any more time than necessary at CDG. I'd head into town and check in/drop my luggage at the hotel. get a bite to eat, walk around the neighborhood, etc.

Then the second traveler can make his own way into the city.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I just checked our flight times and they actually arrive just about an hour apart. So I would like to meet in CDG if at all possible, although if his flight is delayed, then I'll definitely be going into Paris without him
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, you can take the CDGVAL light rail from terminal 2 to terminal 1 and just wait at the domestic/Schengen arrival area. As there is no customs or immigration to go through, you might even be able to wait at the baggage carousel for the appropriate flight.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

I'm a bit confused that kerouac said there isn't customs or immigration to go through in terminal 1. He'll be flying from the US to Copenhagen, and transferring in Copenhagen for his flight to Paris. He won't have to go through customs in Copenhagen b/c he's just changing flights right? So wouldn't he then have to go through customs in Paris?
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:31 AM

I'm thinking there is no Customs requirement between Denmark and France, since both are 'Schengen'. So Copenhagen would be the traveler's first entry into Europe and Schengen, and would go thru Immigration and Customs at Copenhagen. But I'm no expert here.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Hm that's not good either - he only has an hour between both of those flights. I was hoping he'd just have to go to the new gate.

We planned on taking the RER into Paris. Does it take longer for someone from terminal 1 to get to the terminal 2 RER rather than the terminal 3 RER? People had recommended meeting at the terminal 2 RER, but if it's faster for him to get to the terminal 3 RER, I could meet him there instead. Is terminal 3 RER also a good meeting spot or is it much larger than terminal 2s? Thank you so much!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

In thinking this over a bit more, I see there being three options:

1) I hang out for a while in the Sheraton lobby in terminal 2, before heading to terminal 1 to meet him at a specific doorway when he arrives. Take the Air France shuttle that goes from terminal 1 to Gare de Lyon for 12E.

2) I hang out for a while in the Sheraton lobby in terminal 2, before heading to terminal 1 to meet him at a specific doorway when he arrives. We meet and take take the shuttle to terminal 3 RER station and take the train into the city for 8E.

3) I stay put in the Sheraton lobby. He meets me there. We then take the RER into the city (or even the Air France bus if much easier since it also leaves from terminal 2).

I would think option 3 would take the longest since he has to make his way to terminal 2 after arrival, then option 2 because we'd have to get to the terminal 3 RER station, and finally option 1 would be fastest. Any ideas how much faster each of these would be compared to the others? I don't know how long the shuttles take from each terminal or how long the wait is for them. Also, if going from CDG to Paris at noon on a Sunday, would the RER be faster or slower than the Air France bus to Gare de Lyon? We won't have much luggage.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM

Now that the CDGVAL exists, you can go all over the place quickly. Just figure out what you want to do!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:48 AM

If you want to meet at a restaurant in the public area of Terminal 1, I'd suggest La Brioche Doree. It's French fast food: coffee, pastry, sandwiches, and salads.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks.
Last thing then - if we're traveling at around noon on a Sunday from the airport, which would be quicker: the RER to Chatelet and then transfer to go one stop to Gare de Lyon, or the Air France bus to Gare de Lyon?
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:18 PM

The trip on the RER will take about 45 minutes. You might want to transfer to the RER D at Gare de Lyon rather than to either the RER A or D at Chatelet Les Halles. The Chatelet station is huge.

The Air France bus runs less frequently than the RER, but traffic shouldn't be an issue at noon on a Sunday so the trip shouldn't take more than an hour.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM

Oops! I meant to say that you could transfer at GARE DU NORD on your way to Gare du Lyon.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM

I would transfer from RER B to RER D at Gare du Nord.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM

One thing to factor in is time spent on the shuttle going to the RER station, and at the RER ticket window prior to boarding a train. Could be another 10-15 minutes.
You pay on-board the AF coach.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM

But you may wait for the AF coach 10-15 minutes as well.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM

The Air France Coach Line 4 runs every 30 minutes.

If you are not in a hurry, the bus is more comfortable. No hauling baggage to trains and transfer. But if your time is tight, then the train may be slightly faster.