Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

flights from to Santorini - Istanbul pricey

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are going to istanbul after santorini (and flying back to US from there).
We got one of those great fares on Aegean to Santorini (from Athens), but the route to Istanbul is proving extremely expensive.
If we take Aegean on the way back (have to go through Athens) it's over 1200 Euro and then to connect to Turkish Air or Olympic Air for Athens-Istanbul leg it's at least another 150 -180Euro. This is all just to route there one way.
Does anyone know of a more cost efficient way or airline I'm missing? Is it better to wait to see if prices drop?
thanks
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Hmm, my only suggestion is to check out Expedia or Kayak if you haven't already done so. We bought our tickets for the same route through Expedia and got what I think is a fair (but not great) price. We paid about US$400 each for Athens to Santorini and then from Santorini through Athens and on to Istanbul. All of our flights were on Olympic.

I can't recall any airlines that fly this route aside from Olympic, Aegean, and Turkish Air. Good luck with your search!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM

I'm confused. Are you saying that your one-way flight from Santorini to Athens is E1200 for two people? That really doesn't make sense to me.

Unfortunately, transportation choices between Santorini and Istanbul are extremely limited. I haven't looked, but I'm wondering if there's possibly a flight between Heraklion, Crete and Istanbul.

If there is, you could hydrofoil/ferry between Santorini/Heraklion, and connect from there to Istanbul.

Anyway, good luck!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Jubileefd - I saw on another post that you are traveling in October. So I went to Kayak, chose a random date in October, and found airfare for $282, going from Santorini to Athens to Istanbul on Olympic. Looks like there is hope for better airfare!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks meredith--i'll look at kayak.

and to the earlier poster--sorry, my original post should have read 200 euro not 1200! slip of the hand i suppose

still i'm just surprised getting from santorin to istanbul one way is not much less than way from the us to greece in the first place!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:31 AM

Its very often cheaper to buy a roundtrip ticket and discard the back end -- its not permitted by the airlines, but so long as you don't have another flight on that airline on that itinerary, there's really nothing they can do.

You can also look through flying to Rhodes, then taking ferry to Turkey, and domestic flight to Istanbul.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Atlas Jet is a Turkish Airlines that flies from Mykonos to Istanbul in the summer months. If you can get to Mykonos on the Flying Cat #4 in time for a flight that might be the way to go. It'll be a lot cheaper than what you've described.

Another cheaper option would be to fly from Santorini to Samos or Rhodes via Sky Express, take the ferry across into Turkey and to Izmir or Bodrum to fly or bus to Istanbul.

http://www.atlasjet.com/en/

http://www.skyexpress.gr/schedule.as...=Peak%20Summer