Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Flight - tranquilisers!? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/flight-tranquilisers-292633/)

bbib Feb 26th, 2003 06:00 AM

Flight - tranquilisers!?

I have lost count of the number of times I have flown. I used to love it, then I put up with it... and now.. well, I hate it! <BR><BR>But as I love to travel, and have an 11 hour flight to USA in 2 months time - my question is - has anyone taken tranquilisers or sleeping pills on a flight and if so how was it?<BR><BR>My dislike for flying began pre 9/11 but is worse since then... and I also now seem to get claustrophic - (never used to!)- unfortunately. I can only afford economy class...<BR><BR>I am flying with British Airways.<BR><BR>Any help or advice welcome

sharona Feb 26th, 2003 06:45 AM

I think the sleeping pill Ambien is the way to go. Take it just after you are airborn (in case for some reason you don't take off) and within 30 minutes you'll be sound asleep. Then when you wake up a few hours later you should experience little to no grogginess. It is non-addictive and as a psychiatrist friend told me &quot;it mimics the sleep pattern&quot; so you get a more restful sleep. I often take it for a night or two when I visit someplace more than 3 hours out of my time zone just to get me on the right track. It works well for everyone I know who has tried it.

Patrick Feb 26th, 2003 06:48 AM

Did you lose this same post you did yesterday? There are about 10 answers to it already. Once you post here, you need to scroll down until you find your post -- which may move down up to 50 places in just a couple of hours. For now, if you click on your name at the beginning of the post above, you'll find your thread you posted yesterday along with all the responses.

Zeus Feb 26th, 2003 06:50 AM

I remember a number of threads on this site asking the same question. The problem is that all the stuff people recommend is prescription. I can't see myself going to a doctor for the first time in 20 years and asking him to give me some sleeping pills. It MIGHT tend to set off some warning bells in his head. Is there anything OTC that we can use?

bbib Feb 26th, 2003 07:30 AM

Patrick - yes, I did post yesterday on USA pages, but wanted to see if Europeans recommened ambien too... is that not the thing to do.<BR><BR>Thanks

rex Feb 26th, 2003 08:38 AM

&lt;&lt;I can't see myself going to a doctor for the first time in 20 years and asking him to give me some sleeping pills. It MIGHT tend to set off some warning bells in his head.&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>I understand this hesitation, and I think that half the population might feel this way. I might feel the same way.<BR><BR>But I think that the OTHER half of the population would not blink an eye at asking a (primary care) doctor - - one they knew for a long time, or a relative strager - - for something like this. I think it happens thousands of times a day in doctors' offices everywhere. Some patients completely tell the truth about why they think they would need/want it; others concoct a &quot;white lie&quot; (my Aunt Tillie died; my cat gor run over by a car - - I haven't slept well for a week, and I feel like I just need a short term crutch to get me back to sleeping and functioning like &quot;my own self&quot;).<BR><BR>While I am a physician, I have not been engaged in the office care of adult patients ever, and don't rub elbows a whole lot with other primary care physicians that much who do this. But I feel pretty certain that if you ask three friends, or one doctor friend, you'll quickly be directed to someone who prescribe a seven-day supply with no eyebrows raised.<BR><BR>I won't offer opinions on Ambien vs Xanax vs Valium vs Ativan vs numerous other choices. All seem possibly relenat to this statement<BR><BR>&quot;My dislike for flying began pre 9/11 but is worse since then... and I also now seem to get claustrophic&quot;<BR><BR>This is a very legitimate case for short-term, limited scope drug treatment, in my opinion.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>P.S. I think there is no reason you are to be taken to task, asking the same question here and on the US board.<BR>

Patrick Feb 26th, 2003 08:48 AM

My apologies. I switch back and forth between the Europe and US boards, and knew this was an exact duplicate of one yesterday that I had already responded to. When I clicked on your name I found the duplicate but failed to notice one was on the US board and one was on the Europe board. No problem about posting on both boards; sorry.

andy Feb 26th, 2003 08:58 AM

bbib-<BR><BR>I ALWAYS take a Valium when I fly- I am like you--not crazy to get on a plane but the quickest way between point A and point B--<BR><BR>I normally take a 10 mg Valium about 1/2 hr before I board- then I sleep thru take off-- and am relaxed when I wake up about 2 hours later...<BR><BR>been doing it for years-- and I fly about 8 times a year-- so that is not an excess of drugs ,IMHO....<BR><BR>

Richard1148 Feb 26th, 2003 09:16 AM

Try melatonin. It's non-prescription and frequently suggested for long flights as a way to get over jet lag by helping you sleep on the plane during the time you would be sleeping at your destination.