Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Flight schedule change from Europe
Notices

Flight schedule change from Europe

Oct 24th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Kathy

Flight schedule change from Europe

American airlines has cancelled by second flight back from Europe. Now I will have to stay on the East coast overnite and take a morning flight home. They state they are not responsible for the hotel. Yet when I try to change the flights so that they are more convenient they state I would have to pay an add'l $150.00 for the change. Is anyone else in this situation? Anything I can do since they are the ones who are cancelling my flight?

Oct 24th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Book Chick

Hi Kathy,
First my sympathy for what's happened to you. These unplanned changes are unpleasant at best & utterly inconvenient at worst.

Unfortunately if they eliminated that flight from their flight schedule (even temporarily) you have no recourse. I was in a similar situation. My cousin & I were going to go to Paris on a direct non-stop flight from our local airport (in a major city) to CDG. The airlines suspended their non-stops, (this was 22 days prior to our departure when we went to buy the tickets), told us they could sent us to Paris on a flight that would require a change of planes in America & a change in Europe prior to arriving at CDG & that we would have to pay them an additional $300, presumably for the "privilege" of seeing 2 airports we didn't want to see in the first place! I checked with my state's Attorney General's Office, as well as with my lawyer, and by law if they scratch the flight from their schedule, they don't have to put you up, or get you to your destination the same way they'd originally agreed to. As both my sources were in agreement on this, I'm afraid I have to believe it's the truth.
Sorry,
BC

Oct 27th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Lee

Delta cancelled my flight to Hawaii earlier this year and rebooked me on a flight that would make me miss my connectiong flight to Kauai. I was able to cancel my Delta flight for a $50 per ticket fine and rebook on another airline. Ask American if you can cancel your flight since they messed you up.

Oct 30th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Kay

I don't pretend to be an expert on the airline rules--especially domestic versus international. But I remember that when one of my flights was changed because of the airline's schedule, if the change was more than X hours, then I was entitled to a refund, but not necessarily a rebooking.

I saw a post about such a situation earlier this year on the clarkhoward.com travel forum where some travel agent seems to hang out with the rules and where to direct you to find them. Might be worth checking out.

Search this Thread