COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Flight prices from Boston in June

Old Aug 7th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Flight prices from Boston in June

What can I expect to pay for flights from Boston to Shannon or Dublin in mid-late June? I am seeing $917pp on Aer Lingus non stop with a checked bag. thats going from Bos-Shannon and Dublin-Boston. Can I hope for anything better? In April 2019 I paid something like $467 RT Boston - Dublin. I had a layover in Heathrow. June is probably a more popular month for Ireland, so I expect to pay more, but I dont know what the average is. I'll be travelling with my 14 year old daughter so we'd probably want to pick our seats at least so we can be together and check at least 1 bag.

Is $917 ok? Should I wait for a lower price?
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 11:56 AM

It seems a little high, although perhaps notóIím not usually looking at tickets that include checked luggage.

But if itís late June, and you have set dates, I donít think the price is outlandish. Iíve tried to fly out of Boston previously and youíve got two things working against youóthe fact itís Boston, and that itís June. Late June is when summer prices seem to kick in, and youíre not going to see your April price. At least not in my experience.

does it have to be boston? Because according to google flights, you can probably save 200+ per ticket if NY is a possibility.
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 12:06 PM

Where are you looking at and which days are you talking about?
The timeframe you are looking at is the peark airfare period. If you are looking for a bargain, this is the wrong time as you are competing with all the families with school age children departing from the U.S. at the beginning of the summer vacation. All carriers would exploit this opportunity.
If you must travel this period, you will get some relief by not doing what everyone else is probably doing - weekend to weekend. If you fly mid-week to mid-week with layover, the airfare are considerably lower right now.
For example, at www.delta.com, I see BOS-ams-DUB-BOS June 10-17 for $777 on Delta with seat and luggage.
www.google.com/flights is a good comparison site. If you are looking only at non-stop, you would usually have to pay a premium on routes with a dominant non-stop carrier.
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 12:15 PM

In my view it's much too early to be booking for next June. Airfares tend to start high, then fall, then go back up as you approach the flight date. Right now the airlines don't have a great picture of what their internal costs are going to be like 10 months from now (fuel, currency exchange, etc.) so they're likely to hedge their bets and make you pay for their risk. It IS high season, so I wouldn't expect any screaming bargains, but regardless I'd remember that sometimes early birds get cats instead of worms.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 08:32 AM

I live in Central Massachusetts and use Logan often. We have been to Ireland more than a dozen times on Aer Lingus. While $917 is not awful, I agree that it is far too early to book for next June. Often Aer Lingus has a sale in January (no guarantee with will happen).

Also, Aer Lingus may be challenged by JetBlue who may start their own non-stop service (currently they are a code share). Bottom line, keep you eye on JetBlue annoucements concerning Boston (and maybe Delta too as they are increasing their presence at Logan) and the Aer Lingus site.

https://www.irishcentral.com/travel/...val-aer-lingus

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#50b1f4172078
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

It doesnt have to be Boston. I live in Burlington VT though and prices to fly out from here are usually crazy high. I'd have to fly to NY to catch a flight to Ireland. But my parents live in Boston so when i fly from there I have a free place to spend the night before/after if i need it and I dont have to pay to park my car for the week+. I can leave it at their house and take the train into the airport, so that saved me $25 a day and I plan to be gone for 10-11 days.

I've also seen prices from Montreal that use the same non-stop Aer Lingus flights from Boston to Shannon but require you to fly from Montreal to Boston and its almost $200 cheaper than just flying from Boston. So I could fly from Montreal too, but if I have to pay to park, or spend the night in a hotel, that eats up any savings.

I'll be flying with my 14 year old daughter and she will not want to sit by herself so I would pay more to let us pick our seats. Last time I brought a small carry on suitcase and I wish i had checked it. My friend brought a large suitcase and had plenty of room for bringing stuff she bought back home. So between the 2 of us we will probably bring one large suitcase that needs to be checked, and one carryon size that could be carried on.

I dont have definite dates I need to go. But my daughter is usually done school by June 15th so I'd say thats the earliest. I could go in April again, but last time I wished it was more green outside so I think waiting till June will give me that green that I want to see in Ireland.

I guess it sounds like its too early to see good prices I am going to wait a few months and watch the prices. I'd be psyched to pay $650-$700. Thank you!!!!

Bette - thank you for the tips! I'd much rather travel non stop and its nice to hear from someone familiar with Logan. I'll keep my eye on JetBlue too.

BTW - what is with the awful rule that you can only post 2 times a day?
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 02:03 PM

As a new poster you are limited to two posts a day.

Itís to make sure spammers donít enter the forum as spammers tend to post tens and tens of posts in the same day. Once you reach a certain post threshold your ability to post will be unlimited.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 02:09 PM

>>BTW - what is with the awful rule that you can only post 2 times a day?<<

Welcome to Fodors. That is a sort of 'probation' new members are on when first joining. It only lasts a few days - once you have maybe 5 or 6 posts you can post as often as you want. The reason behind it as I understand things is. . . . it cuts down on spam and sleazy advertising. In the 'old' days we were swamped with spam/troll posts -- hundreds some days. It is sooooo much better now -- just be patient.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 02:11 PM

didn't see newtome's post . . .
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 05:07 PM

I just looked and you can fly BDL-DUB nonstop (and return) for $794 the last week in June 2020. BDL is Hartford, CT. That's aer lingus. I fly them all the time, they do not charge extra for seat assignment or checked luggage. You'd still have to pay to park your car but at Bradley it's quite inexpensive. I think we just paid $168 for three weeks this summer.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 03:07 AM

Actually we are still getting plenty of troll posts from a couple of those "trusted" members but at least the ones in Hangool have migrated to people's cellphones.

As to when it is "too early" or "too late" to book a flight: if anybody actually knew that for certain they would be billionaires by now.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 04:34 AM
J62

Norwegian flies from Stewart Newburgh to Dublin and consistently have v. low prices. They've not posted flight schedules for anything beyond next Feb yet so it's too early to book with them. They've been hit hard by the 737Max issue & have scaled back many operations over the last 6mo. I would not be surprised if they exit Stewart Newburgh and focus on JFK for NYC traffic. The planes they fly now are mostly new 787s across the Atlantic.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 05:23 AM

Aside from prices roller-coastering, another reason it's too soon to book for next summer is that airline schedules are not carved in concrete and could change after you buy that early ticket.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.

I probably wouldnt drive to Hartford to save $100/pp . Thats as long as a drive as to Boston, but I'd have to pay to park. I would if I was saving $300+ I guess.

I'm just going to keep my eye out on the prices from Boston. I am just more comfortable driving there and knowing I have a place to stay if I get in late and am too tired for the 4 hour drive home. Plus I get to see my mom and dad which is nice. Of course I'd rather fly from my local airport but not if its going to add more than $200/pp to the ticket price!
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 06:10 AM

Airfare Prices

I monitor prices for months in advance on
matrix.itasoftware.com
You can put in several variables, besides start and destination towns , and can ask for a month of dates, to discover differences between days.
When/if the price drops to a bargain (sometimes, I've struck gold for no apparent reason, other times, not so much), I bite.
You cannot PURCHASE tix from this site, rather go to the airlines site.
That said, if you purchase far in advance, departure times often change (usually just a few minutes, but it CAN be enough for anxiety), and I've also had my coveted chosen seats changed!
But, I was able to get Pgh to Zurich and Pgh to Zurich for less than $650 this year and last!
2017, the airfare price never went down, paid $1100.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Mokka4 - Thanks for that site. Is there a way to have to alert you when prices drop? Or you just need to keep checking every few days?
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 07:20 AM

Hmm,
I don't recall a notification alert being available.
I usually checked once every week or two.
You can even select your desired airline at the top. Many variables that you can input.

I don't have any direct flights from Pgh, so I scroll through the pages of options to find my preferred connecting cities and preferred layover time limits.
Because I DO tend to book about 4-6 months in advance, I always choose VERY comfortable connecting times, since departure times ALWAYS change, if just a bit.
That said, if you book both tickerts through the same airline, they are obligated to find you a seat if changes cause a missed connection.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 07:32 AM

Delta flies NS to Dublin from Boston. I put in dummy dates, 6/15-6/25, and with Basic Economy the price is $668/person. It increases to $800 if you want main cabin. The only difference here is that with basic, you are only allowed carry-ons. But you can book 1 for Basic and the other for Main Cabin since you will be checking only 1 luggage. That averages the price to ~$730/person.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 08:52 AM

And Norwegian currently flies to Dublin from TF Green in Providence. The calendar is only available thru March, 2020. As noted above they are having some 737 Max issues. We flew them from Providence to Edinburgh for $500 RT (last August) with seat assignment and food, non-stop and it was fine. We are not extremely tall.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 06:23 AM
J62

Norwegian just announced they will stop flying US to Ireland routes.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/busin...ntl/index.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO