Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

flight out of malpensa at 6:30 in the morning.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I didn't realize when we booked our flights that we were flying out that early.

We were planning on staying in Bellagio for the 3 nights prior to leaving, but then found out that a taxi from Bellagio to the airport would be about 150 euros.

So here's my question. What would be the closest place to stay to get to the airport at 4:30 in the morning. Will I have to stay somewhere near the airport itself?

Would it be a feasible option to just stay up late in Milan and hang out at the airport for a few hours (doesn't seem like we would get much sleep that night anyway, and bonus, would help us get used to the time difference once we get back home)? What would late night transportation connections be between Milan and Malpensa.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Actually, in doublechecking the flights, it's 6:15 in the morning.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:32 AM

monic we have an 0800 flight in November and we have booked the Crowne Plaza which seems to be the closest to the terminals. It is not super expensive and is pretty new. Pretty decent reviews on Trip Advisor . I agree if the flight for you is 0615 then it will be a really early morning as you need to be there well ahead of time. I am not sure where you could hang out in Milan all night. Not the train station for sure since train stations tend to attract the underbelly of any society. Maybe you could go to the airport and hang there.

The hotel
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/...questid=330421

The airport
http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/en/malpensa/

good luck
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had a very early flilght and stayed adjacent to the airport at Villa Malpensa. Their restuarnat was wonderful and it couldn't have been any closer to the airport.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We stay at the Villa Malpensa before early morning flights. Very comfortable and quiet. I agree that the restaurant food is very good, but the wait staff has been a bit snooty.

FYI, our room rate has included breakfast which we can't enjoy since we depart the hotel before the dining room opens. At our last stay (2005), they still didn't offer a room rate without breakfast, but you might explain and ask if things have changed.

FYI #2, we ferry from Bellagio to Como, take the train from Como to Malpensa (change Saronno) and have the hotel pick us up. Their morning shuttle doesn't start until 7/7:30 a.m., but the front desk will order a taxi for you the night before.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM

Another recommendation for Villa Malpensa. At 6:30 a.m., our ride (courtesy of the hotel) to the terminal at Malpensa was under 5 minutes.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM

If you are on a budget, you could consider the Hotel Cervo (www.hotelcervo.it) which is just a mile from Malpensa. They have a shuttle starting at 5:00 and espresso, cornetti, and cakes in the lobby at 4:30. It is pretty basic, but clean and comfortable, and they serve a good dinner from 8:00-10:00 (just a few already prepared items like lasagne, which can be served promptly). We've stayed there several times before an early flight and it is very practical.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM

Has the Cervo been updated? When we stayed there about five years ago, our room looked like a seedy motel.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:54 AM

I recall a Best Western "Hotel Jet" being used by travelers and few years ago.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know how late transportation connections run between Milan and Malpensa?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM

I think you should stick with your original plan and take the 150 euro taxi ride. I know it sounds extravagant, but hotels around Malpensa are not cheap, and neither are taxi rides to the airport, even though it's only a few miles away.

Were it me, I would arrange to have a taxi pick me up at my Bellagio hotel at 2am. I'd party 'til then. You'd get to the airport about 4am, which is perfect for a 6:15 flight. You'll be dozing in the uncomfortable seats, but so what?

Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The last shuttle bus from Milan's main train station leaves at 11:15 p.m. and arrives at 12:05 a.m. FYI, the first bus leaves at 4:25 a.m. and arrives at 5:15 a.m. (but at that hour I wouldn't be surprised if it arrives a couple of minutes earlier).

The last shuttle train from Milan's Cadorna train station leaves at 8:20 p.m. and arrives at 9:00 a.m. The first train leaves at 5:50 a.m. and arrives at 6:30 a.m.

Old May 24th, 2007, 01:32 AM

packed.. we gĦhad teh same impression. it makes me think that there are better rooms IN the bulding than the ones out in the "motel" section.

maybe i should give it another try, but frankly, it is perhaps the worst hotel on our entire trips in the past ten years.
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Original poster back here:
If I had to take a taxi from a nearby town, (something closer than Bellagio) what town would be the best to consider?
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:27 AM

We had an early (7:00am) flight from Malpensa connecting in Zurich to DFW. We stayed our last night at First Hotel. They had a complimentary shuttle to the airport. They are very close, restaurant was actually pretty good, price was great, seemed to cater to business professionals, and I would stay there again. The reason I didn't choose Villa Malpensa is their website indicated the shuttle didn't run that early. I noticed a previous poster stayed there and used the shuttle that early.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Yes, that was me about the 6:30 a.m. shuttle. The hotel already had a buffet breakfast set-up at 6:00 a.m. There seemed to be a lot of business people in the hotel at that time. The shuttle bus driver also provided us with a newspaper (to keep).

The year was 2003.
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:29 PM

We also stayed at the First Hotel about two years ago and thought it was fine for our purpose of being near the airport. It was a clean, modern hotel. We saw lots of airline personnel staying there. You never know what traffic is like coming from Bellagio, and I think you are safer staying near the airport overnight for an early flight.
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:25 PM

We had a horrible experience at the Hotel Cervo in Malpensa. Based on the service and attitude of the management, I strongly advise against staying there.
On its Web site and brochure, it boasts air conditioning, satellite TV, and a mini bar in every room of its newly renovated hotel in a quiet area. The air conditioning did not work, and the temp in our room was 30.6 C and rising when we checked in. When we asked about it, we were old they were waiting on someone to fix the system. When we asked again about an hour later (as we were literally sweating in our room), the person at the desk was less than helpful or concerned and said that the AC was not turned on until the end of May anyway...so why were we complaining..."last week people were begging us for heat." When we asked to be let out of our reservation because the facility was not what was advertised or confirmed in our reservation, the response was that we were free to leave AFTER we paid the full charge for the room because we had "used" it. We would not have even checked in if they had told us beforehand that there was no AC. As soon as we set foot in the room, we had used it, and they would not back down on their stance. Nor would they even discount the room for all the inconveniences: no AC, no satellite TV, and bugs that came in the room when we had to open the window to get any fresh air.
And their definition of "newly renovated" is laughable. Our room had chipping plaster and many black scuff marks on the walls, peeling ceiling, and black soot-like stains on the ceiling at the AC/heat vent. To top it off, the toilet seat was not attached to the toilet, which was quite a surprise to discover, as you can imagine. I took photos.
And the "mini bar" consisted of 2 bottles of water. Period. And that "quiet area" noted on the brochure? Our 2nd-floor room overlooked what seemed to be a main road into Malpensa at a stop sign so we got to listen to all the vehicles stopping and starting, in addition to a pack of neighborhood dogs howling for well over an hour around 10 p.m.
Someone else on this talk string used the word "seedy" and that is exactly the word I'd choose.
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:44 PM

I would like to add that there is a lovely small ristorante around the corner from the Villa Malpensa: Il Maniero.

It's difficult to see the front of the restaurant because it has large bushes in front of it. It looks more like a house. There is also a small "bar" incorporated into the building.

The interior is clean, pale yellow walls with dark brown furniture and damask table cloths, soft lighting and wonderful food.

It certainly was a great, relaxing way for us to spend our last night in Italy before catching our early flight out.

Something to think about...
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:22 PM

We arrived at Hotel Cervo at 11:00 pm after riding the bus shuttle from the main Milan train station. The Hotel Cervo shuttle took quite a while to pick us up and there was a charge. We arrive for check only to learn they had lost our reservation--not a single room left. DH had a total fit and I had visions of the two of us sleeping in Malpensa. The desk clerk, after several phone calls, located a room at Hotel Cardona for us. Their shuttle arrived promptly and there was no charge for this service. Hotel Cardona was recently renovated--nice marble bathroom, new and very comfy king size bed, no noise from outside, and breakfast was quite good--included quiche. Shuttle started very early and again, no charge for the ride to Malpensa. DH gave the driver a generous tip. Would stay there again if such a need for staying near airport occurred.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -